Ch 46

Amelia woke up. She had cried herself to sleep the previous night. Her head banged and her mouth felt parch. She slipped off the bed to go and check on Xavier. Losing someone he once loved must be hard for him.

When she got to Xavier's room, she knocked, but there was no response. She opened the door to confirm, but he wasn't there. Amelia couldn't understand why she made it a priority to check on him, especially after what he did to her. No one had ever hurt her the way he did yesterday, but she didn't care.

"Xavier?" She called out as she went downstairs. She found him already dressed, walking towards the door. It was too early for him to leave. Since he was the boss of his work, she didn't see any need for him to leave so early.

"You are leaving so early?"

"Yeah. I have some things to do at the office" while he said those words, he didn't for once lock eyes with her. He didn't look nervous, he just didn't see the need to look at her, which hurt Amelia.

"You are not going to eat first"

"I Already had breakfast," he pointed out.

A little part of her heart stung. He had breakfast without her. Recently, he had made it a norm that they both ate together every day.

Although sometimes she proved stubborn, she still very much enjoyed eating with Xavier. It created a special kind of bond between the two of them. Now he was eating without her. Maybe he finally realized they were getting too close, disregarding the contract terms.

"Oh," she let out, not wanting to show the hurt in her eyes. He was back to his cold self, but she didn't want to conclude anything. Inwardly she hoped and prayed his coldness had to do with Nathan's death, not her, but a little part of her didn't fail to make her think otherwise.

"When will you be back?"

"I don't know," he replied plainly.

"Ok have a nice day then"

He didn't give her a response as he walked towards the door. Amelia felt a huge lump in her throat, but she didn't cry again. She was too weak to cry.

She still felt broken. Maybe she shouldn't have told him how she felt. Now he was going to treat her like a reject. Maybe she thought wrong.

She had initially felt there was a high chance of Xavier loving her because he gave her the vibes she wanted, but she was wrong. He was just being nice.

Amelia went upstairs to grab her phone. She dialed Wendy's number. That was the only way she could prevent herself from crying.

"Wendy" she called out with the phone placed loosely on her ear.

"My God Amelia, do you know how early it is?"

"I do. I woke up early"

"Doesn't mean I have to be up early too" she groaned in frustration. "What's the problem? "

That question caused tears to well up in her eyes, but she didn't let them fall, she was tired of crying. "I just found out why Xavier married me"

"What do you mean?"

It was then she realized she never really told Wendy the Marriage was a contract marriage. She only told peter.

"Wendy" she called out softly. "Marriage is just a contract Marriage. It's all fake"

"You are joking"

"No I'm not" she broke off. "And he told me what the marriage is all about" she paused to catch her breath. "He is gay Wendy"