Ch 56

There they sat, he and Lucas. He still had a lot of questions in his mind. The fact his wife might be a fraud or how he didn't feel anything for her but confusion

" I still have my doubts" Xavier walked towards the wine stand to get a bottle of wine.

"The doctor said you shouldn't drink," Lucas said even though he knew Xavier wasn't going to listen. "What do you have doubts about?"

"How is she my wife Lucas?" he turned to look at Lucas with the bottle of wine in his hand.

"She is" Lucas replied too plainly and it caused Xavier to suspect more.

"But I am gay. How is that possible?"

Lucas hated that moment. He knew a time would come when Xavier will surely ask him about the marriage and he didn't enjoy lying to his brother. If only Amelia would tell him the truth once and for all.

He also didn't blame Amelia was keeping it a secret. She loved him and if she told him about the fake Marriage, that would be an automatical divorce because if Xavier found out the purpose of the fake Marriage was no longer there, which was Hardik, he will ask for a divorce.

"It just doesn't sound right. Why can't I remember her if she was such an important part of my life"

"The same way, you don't remember the scandal"

"What scandal? I don't care about a scandal. I just want to know if she is my wife or not"

"Do you expect me to convince you that you once loved her? It's from within. Only you can determine that"

What Lucas didn't understand was Xavier was too confused to even understand his day-to-day emotions, talk more about how he felt about her. One thing was certain, he had tried to hate her, but it was harder than he had thought. He didn't know why, but he felt something. He wasn't sure what it was.

*****

Peter took casual steps into the hospital. He was nervous because he knew what he was about to face_the possibility of his life being at risk.

Recently he had been having different signs of sickness, so he went to the hospital to check what it was.

That day was the day he was going to check his result. He felt scared because he had no idea what it would be.

He had gone to the nurse and after some time, he was called in for his appointment.

The doctor smiled at him, but Peter didn't smile back. He was too thrown off to smile back. All he wanted was to know what was wrong with him and he prayed it wasn't what he thought it would be.

"How was the test result?" he asked in anticipation.

"I have it here" The doctor didn't have a smile on his face anymore.

"And?"

He breathed out sharply.

"The test came out positive. You have Leukemia (cancer of the blood)" he said and watched as Peter leaned back on his chair.

He felt his whole world crashing down in front of him. That was the reality that he wasn't ready to face. The same reality that killed his father.

"It hasn't gotten to the final stage and it can be treated with chemo"

"What is the success rate?" His voice had already drained in less than a minute after hearing the news.

"It has a success rate of 80%. We just need to hope it works"

That's the exact thing they said to his father. He lost his father when he was still young and they all had hopes that he will survive it, but he was declared terminal when no one expected it.