Ch 52

As she placed the last of her clothes in her box, she wiped the tears from her eyes. Inwardly, she concluded she wasn't supposed to be crying.

The marriage was fake and this was bound to happen. No wonder she had a feeling that Xavier didn't genuinely have feelings for her. Or maybe she shouldn't have made him so vulnerable.

She took a last glance at the room. She was about to leave, but she stopped and sprayed her perfume all over the room so that if Xavier at all entered the room, he would miss her by the scent of her Cologne. That was stupid, but she was so in love with Xavier to leave without doing something.

Tears gathered in her eyes, but she didn't let them fall. She was going to face Xavier and she didn't want to look miserable.

She left the room and got downstairs. She didn't expect Xavier to be home, but he was, sitting on his favorite couch with his eyes transfixed on the phone.

Amelia wanted to speak, but she was too broken to look at him. She rolled her box to the door. Then he spoke and she stopped

"Do you want Cosmos to take you?" the moment he said those words, her heart broke. She thought he was going to tell her it was all a mistake and he wanted her to stay, but he was only aiding her to leave. Maybe she was wrong about him. Of course, she was wrong about him.

"No, I'll be fine. I'll.. I'll just call Peter" with that said she left immediately like she was being pursued, but she truly was fighting the urge to cry, and the faster she got out of there, he wouldn't have to see her tears. He had already seen enough of it.

Amelia called Peter to come to pick her up and while in his car, she didn't say a word. Peter of course was confused because she was with her luggage and she was most definitely coming from Xavier's house. Maybe it had to do with the scandal.

The scandal was all over the news and the gravity of the content made Peter question if it was true. The one he was sure of was the part where Amelia was called a fraudster. He had known her for like almost forever and he knew she was most definitely not a fraudster.

******

Xavier saw his phone ring. He was drunk, but he could still tell it was Lucas. Everyone had been calling. His mother, his father, everybody. Even Daphne, who was nowhere to be found, called him.

He ended the call without picking it up. He didn't answer any of them, not because he couldn't face them, but because he felt weak and depressed.

His depression had gotten worse, since he watched Amelia walk through the door and out of his life, probably. No lady would want to come back to a heartless man like him. But what he did was for the best.

He knew he couldn't love Amelia the way she wanted. His idea of love was pain and he wasn't ready to make her go through any of that. He couldn't love her the way she wanted, even though he loved her more than he loved life itself.

He had lost Amelia, and his life and his career were at risk. Everyone was going to see him as an abusive husband. He didn't see any point in living again.

"Sir Xavier?" He heard from his side and he turned to look at Rebecca. He had fired all his staff, but she was still here and he didn't even realize it.

"I thought I asked you all to leave. I paid you, didn't I?" He muttered under his breath. Even his voice had lost its spark. The spark Amelia gave it.

She settled on the seat next to him and began. "When I was little, my sister and I were very close. We did basically everything together. I had her back and she most definitely had mine. At school one day, she was accused of uploading a scandal, but she didn't. The school principal called both of us. Although she was with me all through the day the scandal was uploaded and there was no way she had done it, I still said she did. She was expelled from the school." She paused to catch her breath. "I did that because my boyfriend was related to the scandal and they all believed she did it. She hated me after that. Even now, her trust in me is still shaking. And there is no day I don't regret what I did "