Chapter Fourteen

As Edward drove, his teeth were clenched tightly and his hands gripped the steering wheel to the point they were turning white. He wasn't the only one, I kept my eyes trained on the surroundings.. 

Bella didn't know exactly what was going on but she knew it was bad. 

The tires of the jeep eventually broke free of the forest and turned onto the asphalt of the Cullen's drive. That made Edward push faster. 

 "Why did this happen? Why us?" Bella asked. "I did this." 

"It's no one's fault." I told her looking at her frowning. "I should have been keeping a better eye on you, if it's anyone's fault it's mine."

"No it's mine, I never should have exposed you like that." Edward muttered. 

"Why is it just me?" Bella asked glancing between us. "We're cousins, shouldn't you have the same."

"I'm protected by magic Bella." I told her reaching up to grip my valerian necklace. "Athena gave it to me, it wards off certain creatures only witches can wear them." 

"Okay so why me? Just because of what you and Edward did?" 

Edward and I shared a look for a moment, mentally thinking about what to say. I sighed in defeat. 

"James would have killed you right there." I told her making her look at me worried.  "It wasn't my magic that set him off, completely. It was Edward's actions, all of us stood against him and his target." 

Edward frowned deeply, Bella looked at him and took in a sharp breath intake. 

----

Once we got to the Cullen's house. The lights were all on, I threw open the door as Emmett jumped from the bed of the truck and Alice was by our side in a blink of an eye. The four of us surrounded my cousin and ushered her from the truck to the house. 

We had just stepped in side meeting Carlisle at the door, appearing beside him was Laurent. 

I froze, gripping onto Bella's hand tightly while Edward, Emmett and Alice took defensive postions. 

"Wait." Carlisle said holding his hands up stopping us. ""He came to warn us about James."

We backed down slightly, sharing looks.

"I've grown tired of his games." Laurent told us annoyed. "This isn't my fight, but you should know he has unparalleled senses and is absolutely lethal, I've never seen anything like him in my three hundred years....and the woman, Victoria will back him. Don't underestimate her." He glanced at me for a second. "You have enormous power, don't hold back."

I stared at him for a long time before nodding.

He looked at Edward.

"I'm truly sorry for what's been unleashed here." He told him before he moved off, disappearing into the woods.

"Elena." I heard and looked over seeing Quinn and Jazz and moved over to their sides. They pulled me into a group hug.

"Thank the goddess you're safe." Quinn told me, we pulled back.

"Not safe yet." I told them knowingly.

We turned to Carlisle who nodded at us, we headed into the car garage.

The lights flipped on to reveal every car the Cullen's owned.

Everyone was springing into action, opening cupboards for supplies.  Jazz handed me a duffle bag she brought with her that had more magic stuff.

"We grabbed all we could, Grams even added in a few." She told me making me nod.

"Thanks Jazz." I told her gently.