Chapter 12: Rite Of The Passage

Alex and the three cubs painted their fur bodies and faces with paint to get ready for the Rite of a Passage.

"Okay. Remember, little cub scouts, a great dance performance comes from the heart. Straight from the heart, you'll never go wrong." Alex said to the cubs.

"Sure, mister." The cub in green paint said.

Makunga turns Alex around to have a talk.

"Hey, Alakay, I just happened to walk by, I thought I'd wish you luck. You're not nervous, are you?" Makunga asked.

"Nah, it's my thing. Besides, Mariah is here too." Alex said.

"In my opinion, the key to this is choosing the right competitors." Makunga said.

"You mean, this is like a dance battle sort of thing? Like a dance-off?" Alex asked.

"Sure." Makunga answered.

"Great. I love that. Freestyle. Who'd be a good match for me? Just to keep things interesting." Alex said curiously.

"Well, I wish I could help, but that's strictly against our ancient tradition and all we hold sacred. But if it was me out there... I'd choose Teetsi." Makunga explained.

"Teetsi. Okay. Sounds interesting. Makunga, right? Thank you." Alex said.

"Anything for Zuba's boy. Go get 'em, tiger." Makunga said as he pushed Alex to get on out there.

Alex leaves with the three cubs for the passage.

"Shake it out. A five, six, seven, eight. Let's go, let's do this." Alex said to himself.

Once they all entered, they did their little dance until they stood in the middle of the big circle as the lions and the lionesses cheered.

"I wonder where Mariah is anyway." Alex said to himself, confused.

"Before we start, let's all meet our dancers for the ceremony. Please welcome, Mariah! The new dancer!" Zuba said to the crowd.

Mariah comes out with some lionesses while wearing a long, black outfit that it covers up her entire body and waves to the audience as they cheered for her. She sees Alex, and Alex is confused about the black cover-up outfit that she's wearing. But Mariah takes it long like a cape to reveal her pink dance outfit with her new look as she and the others dance and spin around to the audience as the audience cheers. Alex locked eyes at her while she didn't notice it, drooling and his heart beat fast for his reaction.

"She's so beautiful than before." Alex said to himself, crushing on Mariah.

Zuba hits the big turtle shell with his staff, like a gong to get the audience's attention.

"Now. Let us begin the Rite of Passage Ceremony." Zuba said to the audience.

"Come on, baby! Make Mama proud!" Florrie shouted happily to Alex.

"Come on, woman, I'm trying to take over." Zuba said to his wife.

"On it, Mom!" Alex shouted.

"I hope that you'll do great." Mariah said.

"Thanks, Mariah." Alex said.

Mariah blows a kiss to Alex for good luck.

"Who will be the first participant?" Zuba asked.

The cub with the green paint raises his paw until Alex interrupts as he raises his paw, too.

"Me! Oh! Me, me, me! Me! Me! Me! Me, me! Please, me?" Alex asked as he raised his paw up.