|Chapter #26: Cheering Her Up|

A month has elapsed, and Ruhaani is done with her exams. However, her mother’s stay in London has elongated and left the girl homesick and agitated. This is the longest time she has stayed away from her mother. She’s talking to her on the phone and appears to be agitated.

“Ek week, aur! Mumma! This is not done! Aapne kaha tha ek mahine mein wapas aa jaogi. Ab toh mere exams bhi khatm ho gaye.”

“Aaj teesri baar aap keh rahi ho ki ek hafta aur lagega! This is not done, Mumma! I am bored.”

“I miss you, Mumma! Jaldi aa jao na!”

“Bas isiliye main aana nahi chahti thi, beta. Main jaanti thi aise projects mein time lagta hi hain. Lekin tu hi mere peeche padi thi. Mujhe bhi ghar laut aane ki jaldi hai, betu! Lekin kya karun, yahan kaam khatm hi nahi hota.” Ruhana looks at her daughter’s sad face.

The mother and daughter are in the latter’s room on the video chat. She’s upset that her mother will take a week to finish her work in London. She can tell her mother is hurt too, and she shouldn’t upset her more.

“Par, Mumma, it proved to be fruitful, naa!?”

“Han, betu! Lekin mujhe ab bilkul achcha nahi lag raha hain

“Han, betu! Lekin mujhe ab bilkul achcha nahi lag raha hain. Main tujhe tere exams mein chhod ke aayi aur ab tak delay ho raha hain. Next time, I am not going to take on any such projects! Bol dena apne buddy se!” Ruhana makes a face, causing Ruhaani to smile.

“Arey, ye toh wrong hain, aisa nahi hota hain. Aapne itni mehnat ki hai aur ab aap keh rahi ho ki aapko ye sab nahi lena, why?” Ruhaani asks, peering at her mother.

“Kyunki main tere time pe compromise nahi karna chahti. Main jaanti hoon tu badi ho gayi hain, apne decisions le sakti hain, lekin main tujhe aise akele bhi nahi chhod sakti. Jaanti hoon Vineet ne bahut khayal rakha hain tera, lekin hamesha aisa nahi hoga! Aur na main chahti hoon aisa kuch ho. He is not bound to take care of you. Tu meri beti hain toh zimmedari bhi meri hai.” She says.

Ruhaani gets her point. Even though her daughter is grown up and understands her, Ruhana feels her mom guilt washing over her. She knows that her friend has taken good care of her, but she feels that it’s wrong. No profit or fame is more important to her than her daughter.