Prologue

Snap. Snap. Snap.

I pulled back the band before releasing, waiting for sting of the recoil.

Snap. Snap. Snap.

I pulled at the band more furiously. I hated coming here. I looked up at Ms. McCain. She started at me with her dark brown eyes. She had her long auburn hair up in a bun. She wrote a dark blue dress that went with her mocha skin. Twirling her pen in her hand, on her finger tips, she looked at with a scrutinizing gaze.

Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap. Pop!

The rubber band popped, making me gasp as it snapped against my skin.

Ms. McCain rolled in her swivel chair toward her desk. She opened a drawer and pulled out a rubber band. Rolling back to me, she stretched out her hand. In it was the rubber band. I was careful not to touch her and she did the same as I took it with no words and placed it around my wrist. She knew that I disliked being touch by people, even if I liked them or knew them. I hated being touch against my will. I hated being touched at all.

Snap. Snap. Snap.

I looked down at the red mark that I had left. Sighing, I leaned back on the leather sofa and closed my eyes.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The timer sang, telling me that time was up. I jumped up, grabbing my bag.

"Same time tomorrow, Mr. Donovan" Ms. McCain called out as I slipped through the door.

My dad was sitting in a red chair, near the door. When I came out, he jumped up.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I shrugged, making him sigh.

"Wait here" he told me, giving me a sad look with his dark green eyes, ones that I had gotten from him.

I looked up at his salt and pepper hair. He looked older then he really was. I nodded, moving over so he could enter the room.

When he did, I quickly stepped over and pressed my ear against the hard wood.

"Mr. Donovan, what's wrong? I just sent Kai out, well he ran out but that's not the point. Did he forget something?" She babbled on.

"No, I just wanted to know if he said anything today. At all?" I heard my father's calm voice say.

"Same as usual. He snapped the rubber band until it popped and I got him a new one. That's was the most exciting thing that happened"

My father sighed.

"I don't know what to do anymore" my father said after a while.

"Don't worry. He'll come around. He'll start talking eventually"

No, I won't, I thought, stop wasting your time and money, I wanted to tell at my dad but I couldn't.

"Well thank you, anyway" he said.

"You're welcome" she said.

I heard footsteps travel towards the door. I ran to the other side of the room, leaning against the wall, pretending as if I was staring at the wall the whole time.

My father walked out. He looked depressed. And it was my fault, I knew that.

I'm sorry, I said in my head, I'm so sorry.

He walked to me.

"You ready to go?" He said with a smile on his face. A fake one. I know what one looked like. It was the only smile that I had used in the past few years.

I said nothing but nodded.

"Okay then" he said. He walked to the exit and I followed in suit.

His car was parked out front. Dark blue Range Rover. I remember that when I was younger and he would take out the parts so that I could help him piece it back together. But that was when my mom was around. That was when I was happy. That was before everything went wrong.

I opened the backseat door. I liked the space. Placing my bag next to me, I closed my eyes.

"Kai, I'm so sorry" my dad said to me.

So am I, Dad. So am I, I thought.

*****
Please Vote And Comment!