Chapter 34- Lost Words

Chapter 34

Lost Words

August Griffin

I dragged my body into the school building, dreading the day that was ahead of me. I wondered if Kai was still avoiding me. If anything, I should be the one avoiding him. I had made a fool of myself the last time I was in his presence.

I duck into around a corner when I saw him standing at his locker. Everything in me told me to stay there until he left but somehow I was walking towards him. His locker was open now so at least he wouldn't run away. That was a good thing.

I stood on the other side of his locker door for less than a minute before he closed it and turned to me. I don't think that he realized that I was there at first. He had almost walked into me. But when he did realize, he hugged me. He hugged me.

I froze. He was crying. Had my little monologue gotten to him this badly? But if I had caused this, would he be hugging me? That wouldn't make sense, unless he was waiting for an apolgy or something. Part of me was trying to put the blame on something else, while the other part was thinking about accepting it.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when he pulled me closer to him, making me wrap my arms around him. I could feel his lashes against my neck and his tears falling onto my shoulder. It was a very intimate moment in the middle of a school hallway. I didn't know what to say or what to do, other than to continue holding him. So that's what I did. I held him. Even when the first bell rang. And the second one. And the late bell. I wasn't sure if he was hearing them.

Just as the thought passed through my mind, Kai started to pull away. My heart ached when he moved away from me. He wiped away the rest of his tears.

"What happened? Did something happened?" I asked worriedly.

He nodded slowly like he was unsure if that was what he wanted to do.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I said before correcting myself, "I mean not actually talk but like text or write notes or something." I started talking.

He smiled and laughed a little but shook his head. I looked at him and he looked at the ground.

I sighed and asked, "Can I walk you to class? We're already late."

I beamed when he agreed. I still wondered what had made him cry but I didn't want to push so I decided to leave it alone, for another time.

The rest of the day was unimportant. I couldn't focus on anything that was going on. It was all a blur. Everything seemed more complicated and I didn't know what to do about it. I walked to my car. My phone pinged as I started the car, almost drowning the sound.

I opened the message as I put my seatbelt on. A smile fell on ny lips as I read the notification.

1 Unread Message
Kaiser

Myfinger hovered over the button. I was scared to open the message, just little but enough for me to hesitate. I looked up to see if April was anywhere near me. She always took her time leaving the building. Practice was cancelled for me because Coach had somewhere to be again. When I didn't see her, I decided to open the message.

Kaiser: Did you ever read that note?

My brows furrowed. Note? What note? I racked my brain, not wanting to ask he about it and potentially looking dymb but I couldn't remember a note.

Me: What note?

A knock was made on my window as I sent the message. Looking up, I saw that it was April. I unlocked the doors.

"Why did you even lock the doors?" She asked as she got in.

"So psychos like you don't get in here without my consent."

She rolled her eyes. I pulled out of the lot and started on our way home. My phone went off about five minutes into the drive. I wanted to look at it but I was in the middle of the street and the light was mine. April, however, didn't have the same problem. Her eyes shot down to ny phone. A smile grew on her face as I watched her from the corner of my eye. I already knew what she was planning. I tried to grab my phone but she got to it before me.

"Stop it, April. Do you want me to crash the car and kill us both?"

"It's from Kaiser. Should I open it for you?"

"You should put my phone down."

"After I check this message. Don't worry, I know the password."

I groaned, trying to find a place to pull over but it was a busy street.

"Kai said 'the note that I gave you that night that I went to your house'" she gasped, looked at me, and said, "He gave you a note? And you lost it!" She whispered the last part.

"He didn't give me a note!" I yelled as I pulled into our street.

I thought back. I remember the fire poker. The confusion. The kiss. But a note? I replayed the memory. My eye widened, the note! He did give me a note. I pulled into the driveway and snatched my phone back from April.

Me: Oh yeah. I totally have it.

I sent the message and then frowned at how idiotic I sounded. Where did I put that note? I took it...kissed him...he left in tears. It wasn't really a good night. No wonder I lost track of that note.

After replay the night, I came to the conclusion that I had brought it into my room at least. I spent the next hour scouring my room, searching for it. It might not have seemed like a big deal to most people but I couldn't tell Kai that I never opened it or that I lost it. I just got him to like me or to, at least, notice me.

And nothing could conpare to the happiness I felt when I found that note among the trash under my bed. I picked up and read it immediately. When I was done, I grabbed my phone and texted Kai.

Me: Of course I read it. I've got a lot to say.

*******
I Low-key Baited By Accidently Updating It Earlier. My Bad.

8.2k Reads
478 Votes
93 Comments