Chapter 36- Starting Over Again

Chapter 36

Starting Over Again

August Griffin

It's amazing how suddenly a relationship can change. One day, you're hardly talking to each other and the next day, you're joint at the hip. It was how I ended up spending my weekend messaging people. Some people would say that it was a lame way to spend your Saturday night but it was the best way to me.

I stared at my phone, waiting for a text back from Kai. My phone dinged, exciting me. I brushed off the disappointment when I saw that it was Nolan. It was weird, he only ever texted for homework. He was more of a in-person conversationist.

Nolan: Do you know where Milan is?

I raised a brow. Why would I? As far as I knew, Milan only went to school and back home unless he was out with us or Nolan.

Me: No. Did you go to his house?

Nolan: His stepmom said that he wasn't there. Not that she would even know. She didn't seem concerned.

Me: Yea, she gives off that vibe.

Nolan: You went to his house? Why?

I thought of ways to avoid the question. I didn't know what Milan told him or what he wanted him to know. I didn't even know what was up with Milan. I only had what I can only assume happened and I wasn't one for spreading false information.

Me: Because we are friends, Nolan.

He took a couple of minutes to respond. Probably trying to figure out whether he believed me or not.

Nolan: If he calls or texts you, tell me.

Me: Ok but he'd probably text you first.

Nolan: I hope so.

I sat up in my bed. I thought back to earlier in the year, when I saw the bruise on his arm, when he called me, when I went to his house. I thought about whether or not I should tell Nolan but decided that it was Milan's secret to tell. He trusted me with whatever was happening with him.
I texted Milan, asking him if he was okay. He didn't respond immediately. I started to wonder where he was or why he'd be avoiding Nolan but my phone noticification sound interrupted my thought process.

A new message from April appeared. I was tempted to ignore it but I didn't want to risk anything so I decided against it.

April: Can you cover for me with Mom? I won't be home until after dinner.

Me: Why? Where are you?

April: I'm handling something.

Me: Gotta say a little more than that to get my help.

April: Okay. I'm trying to get back on the team before Mom realizes that I'm off of it. I'm meeting some of the team.

Me: Weren't they the reason that I found you in the locker room the way you were?

April: You have no idea what that was about, August. Let it go.

Me: Fine, just don't do anything stupid.

April: Thank you.

Me: If you're not home by 9, I'm telling our parents AND calling the cops.

April: I'll be there.

I laid back into my bed. Everyone seemed to be interested in me today. Everyone except the one person that I really wanted to talk to. My stomach growled, making me groan. I was feeling too lazy to make something to eat and my parents weren't home. I went through my phone contacts, picking through various fast foods restaurants. I decided that I'd have some Dominos for lunch.

Pizza was the world's best culinary creation after all. I recieved a message in the middle of creating my pizza. It was from Milan.

Milan: I'm fine. I told Nolan, everything's fine.

Me: You sure?

He took a minute to respond.

Milan: Yea.

Milan: I'm sure.

Me: I'm not sure that I believe you. What's up?

Milan: Nothing that I can't handle. Everything is under control.

I twiddled my fingers, not wanting to directly ask the question that I needed to ask.

Me: What happened to your arm?

Milan: My arm is fine. What are you talking about?

Me: Milan...

Milan: It was nothing.

Three little bubbles appeared and disappered again amd again.

Me: Nothing doesn't leave a mark, Milan.

Milan: Don't worry. It won't happen again.

Milan: I have to go, my dad just got home.

I wondered if he had been the cause of the bruise but I didn't want to push Milan further away so I held back. My phone returned to my order page. I wasn't feeling hungry anymore. But I ordered the pizza anyway.

I tried to think of something else but my mind kept going back to Milan. I had this urge to help him. I felt like if I didn't, I'd regret it.

My phone rang thirty mintues later. I picked it up, expecting it to be the delivery guy. I was shocked tobsee that it was Kai. A smile found its way onto my face as we reengage in a conversation through text.

***
This Is Mostly A Filler. Just Tryna Answer Some Of The Questions That Were Left Out.

I Know It's Very Very Very Short But I'm Just Trying To Finish It So That I Can Rewrite It Better.

Probably Only The Epilogue Left.

9.95k Reads
520 Votes
98 Comments

11/24/18