Chapter Six

Mara Leigh

I hadn't slept at all last night. I was awake, waiting on Psycho's return that hadn't come.

And in just a couple hours I would have to face Beau Crawford. It killed me last night to have to ignore his calls. But I knew if I answered, Psycho would probably be sneaking around, able to hear me. I couldn't have him figuring out what I was planning. 

But I did text him to make sure he knew that I was alright and that he needed to stay away. It would ruin everything if he showed up and Psycho saw him. 

I was barely alive when I finally made it to Anatomy. Calculus and English had taken up all the energy I'd had stored up. Beau was at our lab table and had already gotten the cat and tools out. 

I really dreaded today. It was our review day, and there was absolutely nothing we could do but sit there and stare at the cat all day. It was going to be so awkward. I was so fatigued that I knew if I didn't keep a hold on myself I'd start crying in the middle of class.

Beau was quiet as I sat beside of him. I pulled on my gloves and took the scapel, pretending to review. He sighed and pulled his phone out. In seconds I felt mine vibrate in my pocket. 

"Did I do something?" the text read. I almost cried. I hadn't even realized what he was probably thinking.

"No, you didn't do anything wrong. Something just happened that I need to handle by myself. Thank you for all you've done," I replied. 

Soon I saw his fingers typing away. It didn't look like he would be done any time soon. A few minutes later he put one arm on the table and leaned into it, looking sleepy. My phone went off again.

He'd wrote, "I wish I could help you. I wish you would tell me what's going on. I'm your friend, Mara Leigh. I've done everything I could to help, but if you don't tell me what's going on, then what am I supposed to do? What happened? Why do I suddenly have to stay away? Why won't you talk to me now? What's changed? Can you just tell me something so I don't sit here worrying about you?"

I wiped my cheeks off, not able to stop the crying. So many questions were asked. But there wasn't a lot I could say. If I told him the truth he'd think I was crazy.

Mara, will you stop saying that already? Every time you've said that he's believed you. He doesn't think you're crazy.

But if I told him he would want to help and would get hurt or killed. I don't doubt that Psycho would kill him. 

I texted back, "I'd love to tell you everything. I will when I get things fixed. I promise. I know you're my friend :) thanks for being one."

When Beau finished reading it, he looked at me. I smiled at him, just trying to lighten the mood.

"That smile was as fake as a sixteen dollar bill," he said.

It must have been the lack of sleep, but before I could stop it a blast of laughter came rolling out of me.

"Now we're getting somewhere," he laughed. 

 I'm always watching.... Psycho's voice ripped into my mind, cutting off my laughter. I needed to get control of myself. I was responsible for someone else's well-being now, not just mine. 

"What's wrong?" Beau went to take my hand. I jerked it away, remembering Psycho's other threats. 

Beau shook his head and sighed. "Is this something you'll have to explain later?"

I nodded. He seemed to accept it. 

"I don't suppose we'll have studying tonight, huh?" he asked a little later.