Chapter Thirty Six

Mara Leigh

A week had passed since I fully moved in with Xander. We integrated all my things from my parents house into his room and bathroom. With the passing days it was feeling more and more like home.

Blythe hadn't said much to me, but most of what she had said was all painstakingly normal. Like she'd never listened to my word vomit. The only things out of norm for her was that she was letting us go out alone without talk of a chaperone, and she wasn't saying anything when we were in our room alone. However, every night Xander would still make a show of going into the room next door and 'going to sleep', only to end up back in our room as soon as he could hear Blythe snoring. Blythe never came back up to check the smells, though.

I was starting to wonder if his acting every night was mostly a show of respect. Maybe I'd made her angry with me and he was doing damage control so she didn't try to kick me out. I couldn't see his sweet mother doing that, but I didn't see myself losing my words on her like I had either.

Xander had been in his office all day, reaching out to the packs he hadn't heard from. I'd been sitting on the chair in front of him for most of the time he'd been in there. He'd finally given me back my drawing pad from his drawer, and now I carefully sketched his lips, focusing on the soft curves.

While I drew, I eavesdropped on his conversations with each pack. I currently heard him speaking politely to Luna Grey, who I remembered from the rogue fight. From what I could piece together, she had found her mate very recently, and he was a human, like me.

Xander had told me that none of the other pack leaders that he'd spoken with had a human mate, except now Luna Grey. Most of them had full blooded or half blooded mates, but there were several who were still waiting to find their mate.

He'd said that it wasn't unusual for pack members to mate with humans, but it was somewhat rare for the Alpha or Luna.

"I will keep you informed on any information I gather." Xander's voice brought me out of my musings. "I would be much obliged if you would do the same for me."

I looked up to see him smile in response to whatever she said. I could assume she would let him know.

"Thank you, Mirabelle." He hung up the phone.

When he didn't immediately start dialing, I halted where I was on his mouth and took the opportunity to touch him. I laid down my pad and walked around his desk to sit on his lap. He held me and smiled, accepting my kiss.

He was so good at lazily running his tongue across my lips, keeping a rhythm with his kisses to drive me crazy. When I felt my hands start to wander of their own accord down lower than his shoulders, I pulled away, breathing heavy.

He held me close to him and brushed his fingers through my hair for several minutes before speaking.

"I have an acquaintance reading through some archives for me, trying to find out anything they can about Alpha's human mates."

"Archives?" I questioned.

"Yeah. We have some books housed in another pack. They're old—centuries old. There's got to be something in them about when Alphas mate with humans."

"And if there's nothing in it then we'll move on to researching my blood?"

I doubted that I actually had any type of werewolf ancestor. But it never hurt to check.

"We will if the search comes back empty."

Xander was silent for a few seconds, then said, "I'd like you to go for a run with me today before training starts."