Chapter Thirty Seven

Mara Leigh

Xander and I sat in his office, him working on pack work while I sketched away on my drawing pad. This had become routine since he'd given me my drawing pad back about two weeks ago. We'd sit together while he worked, and I'd get up to get us something to eat around lunch time. Sometimes Duffy would grace our presence, sitting in the chair beside of me, usually napping. But most days she hung out with Blythe in the kitchen. She knew where the most food got dropped in the floor.

In between working, Xander and I would talk, have a steamy make out minute, or go for a short walk through the grounds just to get out for a while. I was sure that tonight would be like every other night, and we would go for a 'short run', as Xander called it. They might have been considered short for him, but the daily runs had been building my stamina to let me go 7-8 miles a trip now. Definitely not short to me.

The other week I went shopping with Ella and bought a few athletic tops, shorts, bras, and leggings. I knew I would need them, with Xander wanting to have me run every day and then wanting me to train.

Training was going better. I hadn't improved much at deflecting, but Xander had started us on weapons training, and I was excelling with guns. Knife wielding, not so much. But I still had time to work on it.

A loud shrill ringing caused my head to jerk up. I watched Xander answer his phone and turned my attention back to my sketch of the meadow behind my parent's house. I hadn't seen it in forever, but I could remember it well enough to sketch.

"So after the claiming...." Xander left the sentence hanging. Mention of the claiming caught my attention. I looked up to see his eyes looking at me with a surprised expression. I knew my face had to be blushing. The thought of Xander's hands on my body....

"Thank you." Xander hung up the phone and was kneeling by my chair in a flash.

I sat my drawing pad and pencil aside and reached down to touch his face as he reached up to put his hands on either side of my waist.

His smile was so bright it was blinding.

"Did you get an answer?" I smiled back, rubbing my thumb along his bottom lip.

"That was my acquaintance who was going through the archives," he replied. "When an Alpha mates with a human, the human shares in the Alpha's strength. It's part of the gift of mates." His eyes were shining, like this was all the answers we could've hoped to receive. But I didn't understand.

"I'm a little confused. What does this mean for us?"

"Apparently from the moment we met, some of my strengths started flowing over to you through our bond. So before the marking, you would've seen a little of it. At least you would've seen it if we had known to be looking for it."

I thought back to running with Ella.... I could see what he was saying. Our theory was correct, in part. It had to do with our bond.

"Once I marked you," he continued, "you were able to do even more. You were able to run farther, your sense of smell was enhanced.... Quite possibly there are other strengths that we've just not realized yet."

I nodded. I understood that. So the claiming.... I know he said that there was no way to make me a werewolf. I couldn't help but hope though.

"So the claiming?" I repeated my thoughts out loud, still fighting not to blush.

"Usually the marking and claiming happen around the same time. Yours hasn't been quick. So we're seeing these strengths appear while the full process has not been completed." Raising my eyebrow, I stared at him, urging him to explain better.