Chapter Thirty Five

Mara Leigh

We were gathered in the living room. Blythe and Xander sat on either side of me on the couch. Beau and Ella had claimed they were going to head upstairs, but I had the feeling that they were at the top of the stairs listening in.

It was time for the phone call that would determine if I would have to go home. I dialed my mom's number on my cell and hoped that my parents would even answer. I was sure they'd never saved this number as mine. Not like they'd want to call me anytime soon anyway. I wished that Blythe would take that as enough proof.

I put the call on speakerphone as the phone started ringing. Mom picked up on the third ring.

"Hello," her voice came. I could tell she was preoccupied with something.

"Mom, it's Mara Leigh."

"Hey, sweetie! Is something wrong?"

"No, I just wanted to talk to you about something."

"Oh okay," she was still preoccupied. "Does it have something to do with Xavier?"

I rolled my eyes and Blythe raised an eyebrow. "Xander, Mom. And kinda."

"Are you pregnant?" Her voice wasn't even surprised or upset. It was just a question. Like she wouldn't care either way. Blythe's face was unreadable. "We have ways we can take care of that, if you want. If you want to keep it, it's on you. You won't be living with us much longer anyway, I'm sure."

I almost let out a sigh of relief. This wouldn't be so hard.

"I'm not pregnant, Mom," I tried to keep my voice even. It wouldn't do to get an attitude with her right now. "I'm moving out. I just wanted to let you and Dad know so that you wouldn't be wondering where I was."

It was surprisingly quiet on the other end, and I started to wonder if I was mistaken.

"Well," came the response. "Do you have money for that?"

I looked at Xander. I honestly hadn't even thought about that part. "Since I just graduated I can get a job. But I'll be living with Xander, and he has enough to take care of me."

Xander smiled and squeezed my thigh happily.

Mom was on the other end of the line remembering that I'd graduated.

"I'd forgotten you'd graduated!" She squealed. "Dad and I will get a present sent to you. Just text me when you get your new address. I guess we'd better do a housewarming present too, huh?" She laughed.

I looked over at Blythe, who looked shocked.

"So, Mom," I reigned her back in. "You do realize that I'll be moving out, and you're fine with it?"

"Yeah, honey, like I said—get me your new address when you have it. I'll get your graduation present to you and something for your house. We'll try to catch up with you when we're back in town and see your and Xavier's place."

I heard Blythe scoff from beside me. Mom ended the call pretty quickly. As soon as I hit End Xander was pulling me into his lap, holding me close. Blythe got up and stared at us, not looking as upset as I'd expected.

"That's how they always are?" she asked slowly.

"Yep," I replied, popping the P. "My whole life. But it doesn't matter now. Y'all are my family."

Tears welled up in Blythe's eyes. She held her arms out for me, and Xander let me stand up and hug her. She didn't say anything, but I could feel that any uncertainty about letting me stay with Xander was gone. For once my parents being terrible was working in my advantage. I would be able to move in with Xander and start our life.