Chapter 5

*

"Be careful!" My mom shouted as dad's car began to pull out of the drive way.

"We will," My dad shouted back. I looked at my mom's expression, which was a mixture of sadness and worry. I rested my head against the window, shutting my eyes close I reminisced the things that had happened last week.

My parents forcefully opened the door by the time they heard my screams, that was when they saw that I wasn't myself. They said they called my name a lot of times, but I held no response. That was the cue for me to be brought to a hospital where they saw the cuts.

My parents and the medical staff freaked out when they saw how deep the wounds were, and soon they had no choice but to stitch them up so no further infections would show up. I had gained my senses by that time but my tongue felt so numb, so as my soul. When they finished stitching the wounds, they started questioning me how I got them. They are doctors and they knew that the cuts were just recently sliced upon my skin. They also asked me about what it meant 'cause they couldn't figure it out based from its poor writing. Though whenever they asked me what happened, not even a single word could be extracted from me.

I stayed in the hospital until Sunday wherein the doctors have told my parents about the initial findings on my position; that I was quite fine, and that I might be depressed and somehow suicidal. When I heard about it I wanted to scream, I battled the urge of telling them the truth but when I heard my parents agree with the results my tongue rolled back in its place. Do they really think that I am suicidal? Do they really think that I could kill myself that easily?

As my mind pondered about the unfortunate events that happened in my life in a week, I felt how my dad's car seemed to slow down. I flung my eyes open and shifted my vision to my dad who had his eyes on the road, yet every few seconds he would take a few glances on me.

"Stop it," I said.

"What?" He said softly but his body tensed up.

I cocked an eyebrow, "You don't have to take a glance at me every few seconds dad, I'm fine,"

I noticed how his body calmed down. "Well, I'm glad to hear that," He mumbled as he shot me a sad smile.

I removed my gaze on him and focused my vision straight on the road. It hasn't been a couple of minutes when he started to speak again.

"You know that you can trust us, right Hope?"

I stayed silent and keep my head on the road.

"I know that since Katherine left, it has been the hardest year for you to cope," He paused, through my peripheral vision I saw how his grip on the steering wheel tightened. "I know you think that you're all alone but please don't think like that. You got us. You got your mom and I. We would never leave you," He added.

You already did. I thought to myself. You two were gone drunk at the time I needed you the most.

The car was filled with a deafening silence for a moment when he opened up one of the questions I didn't want to hear.

"Why did you do that to yourself Hope? Why?"

I slouched back to my seat and shut my eyes. I never thought I wanted to say this but I am so eager to be in school right now.

"Why did you have to hurt yourself like that? Why do you want to suffer in silence?"

I balled my hands into fists, so hard that I started to hear my bones crunching.

"You don't understand," I whispered, pain is audible in my voice.

He shut his mouth for a moment...