Chapter 9

*

My heart felt like it was beating in my throat. I was nervous as hell. I could literally chew my hands off because of the suspense of the plan tonight.

Tonight will be the night I'm leaving everything behind... for good. For everyone's good.

I wiped odd the sweat that has accumulated on my forehead. All my senses were sharp and alert. I waited patiently to look out for Winn. He said that he had a plan. A plan for me to escape the hospital without being seen by anyone. Especially not the police, neither my mom.

My eyes roamed instinctively, and my ears were listening carefully for any sign of him. Half an hour has passed and he was still nowhere to be seen, not even the slightest shade of his shadow. My patience started to run thin.

Where are you Winn? Where are you?

I inhaled deeply and tried to keep calm. Stay cool, Hope. Winn got this, if you want to leave quietly then you gotta trust him.

My heart jumped when 2 men dressed in nurses' clothes came in, along with a wheelchair. Their faces were unrecognizable because of the mask they were wearing.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" I asked frantically, my voice is low.

They didn't say anything. They walked over me and one of them with red hair pulled out something from his back. A syringe.

I immediately crawled back to my bed and stayed as far away from them as possible. I trembled in fear as they approached me. I opened my mouth and was about to scream when quickly, the other guy with dark hair pulled me and clamped his hand on my mouth to muffle my scream.

Then a pinching pain shot through my arm. I began to feel numb. My body, all of it, I couldn't move it. I opened my mouth once more to scream for help but my tongue felt like it rolled back into my mouth and felt like a statue. In fact, I felt like I was literally a statue and the only thing I could've moved was my eyes.

My knees unbuckled but before I hit the floor hard, the guy who clamped my mouth caught me and put me on the wheelchair. Before they wheeled me out of the room, they placed a mask on my mouth.

We left my room. I tried to stand up but not even a singe limb wanted to coordinate. We walked passed many people but they seem not to care about me. Why would they? They only saw a girl being pushed in a wheelchair by 2 nurses. Unless I moved or at least shouted for help, what they saw was normal. Shit. I'm helpless.

"Like have you seen the patient in room 204? He won't stop puking blood and for 3 days all I did was wipe it up,"

"I wipe poop Iza, and I did not train to be a nurse just to wipe poop. Everyday," A lady with a dark skin colour came out from a room along with Iza, just 50 feet before us.

I knew from the very beginning when I heard the high pitch, blabbering voice of her is an actual help from the heavens. I never imagined that I would be happy to hear her voice. Her annoying, gossiping, relentless mouth.

As we approached them, I was desperately praying that she would pay attention at me. We were ten feet closer to them, but her attention was focused solely to the gossip she was hearing from her friend.

I was about to lose hope but then when we were almost in front of them, out of a miraculous circumstance, she looked at me.

When her eyes drop on mine, it made me forget to breathe for a moment and I didn't waste a second to stare back at her, pleadingly.

It only lasted for a few seconds before we went past them. A tear escaped from my eye and I knew that I lost the last glimmer of hope I had.

"Wait," A loud female voice echoed through the hallway.