Ten

Evelyn

I sat at my usual breakfast table, awaiting Hayden's presence. Rowan and Caleb would sometimes come over. Everytime Caleb was here so was Cadence thus meaning Aubrey and Faye were here too. I decided to get some pancakes to pass some time and I drizzled a bit of golden syrup onto them before returning back to my prior seat.

As if on instinct, Hayden sauntered in running his hand through his dark brown hair in hopes of calming it down. He plopped down beside me and immediately stole a pancake from my plate but I wasn't complaining - he's been doing this ever since we met at breakfast a month ago.

A month ago.

In such a short amount of time such a large amount of things have happened. I've created an enemy, I've made a best friend, I have acquaintances, and I've met someone who I want to classify as just a friend but I'm not exactly sure what we are.

"Rowan needs to learn to stop doing his  coursework so late at night - he's ruining my sleep by keeping that bloody lamp on and studying so loudly," Hayden complained, rubbing his eyes with the hand that wasn't covered in syrup. "Did you fucking drown these poor things in syrup? They're drenched, Evie!"

"Don't judge me, Hayden whatever-your-middle-name-is Carter," I hissed, snatching my plate back to prevent further examination on my eating habits.

"It's Sylvester," he replied.

"Really?"

"Nah, I'm just messing with you. It's Hayden Alexander Carter. What's yours?"

"Evelyn Josephine Rosalinda Maria Jane Lawson."

"Gosh, Evie. You're joking me!"

"I am. It's Evelyn Willow Grace Lawson."

"Why is your name so long?" he groaned, resuming his breakfast.

"Because I'm a special little asshole," I quoted him from last week when he was persuading me to go to his house over the half term. Loud and rowdy noises were heard from behind us which led to Hayden covering his ears with his hands and groaning even louder than he was before. Those loud and rowdy noises originated from two boisterous boys also known as Rowan Hastings and Caleb Warren.

The two of them took a seat on our table and carried on their unclear conversation.

"Did you see her?" Caleb guffawed, directing the question to Rowan.

"What she said was-" Rowan added on, looking as if he was on the verge of tears from laughing so much.

"-absolutely bonkers." The two of them looked drunk. Or high. Probably high on sugar.

"Who're the two of you talking about?" Hayden lifted his head a bit and asked, his voice still as grouchy as ever.

"Aubrey. That girl needs to get her priorities straight," Caleb said, still dying of laughter. If only I had anaesthetic then I could really shut the two of them up.

"That's not a very nice thing to say, Warren," I intervened, not maintaining eye contact with him.

"Oh really? She said that Faye was her own person so if she wanted to keep hold of someone she could. I don't know what part of that statement even makes sense."

I shook my head and focused on my breakfast only to have the plate stolen from me by Rowan. I sent a dark glance across the table to him and he responded with an angelic grin.

"You know the person you're talking about?" Hayden said and Rowan and Caleb nodded,"she's coming over right now with Cadence and Faye."

At the mention of Faye's name Rowan stiffened and I felt as if he moved slightly closer in my direction. I gave him a feeble smile and sipped some water from my bottle. Faye, Cadence and Aubrey always approached the table in a tumultuous manner which led to the embarrassment of the original members of said table.