Thirteen

Evelyn

The sunlight was incandescent this morning. It bounced off every surface and made the room have an exquisite morning glow. Hayden was still fast asleep beside me but I wasn't going to wake him up anytime soon - he hardly got any sleep at university.

I grabbed my hoodie from my bag and yanked it over my pyjama top. I quietly opened the door as to not awaken the dormant human in the room. Descending down the stairs I heard a voice singing and it was in the direction of the kitchen. Mr Carter would obviously not have such a young voice so it was bound to be the one and the only Cyrus Carter.

"Good morning, Evelyn," he greeted me when he heard my arrival in the kitchen. He was busy frying an egg in the pan whilst the radio was blasting quietly on the counter-top. "How do you like your eggs?"

"Uh... scrambled, please." He nodded and took out another egg from the carton before proceeding to make my breakfast.

"Did you have a nice sleep, Evelyn?"

"Yes, I did."

"It would've been nicer if you were sleeping with me. I've been known to energise the female population," his notorious smirk returned as he carried on frying the eggs. He handed me some bread to put in the toaster whilst he scooped the eggs onto a plate. I thanked him for the breakfast and took the plate to the living room to eat.

"Evelyn, you should be grateful!" Cyrus yelled as he walked out of the kitchen.

"For what?"

"For being put on my list of things to do today."

"Do you ever stop, Cyrus?" I sighed, being put off my food. When he saw me put my plate down he immediately rushed over to put it back on my lap.

"No, no, no! You must eat." I rolled my eyes and took a bite out of the buttered toast.

"Happy?"

"Ecstatic! You should know that I will do whatever it takes to please you," he said with a genuine grin.

"Really?"

"Uh huh."

"Then please leave my sight."

"What a stone cold heart you have, Miss Lawson."

"I'm touched," I replied sarcastically, placing a hand upon my heart.

"Stop harassing my friend, Cy," Hayden said unexpectedly. He must've walked down the stairs very quietly since neither of us had heard his footsteps. He walked over to me and took a slice of toast from my plate before plopping down beside me. "Cyrus here is on his last year at university."

"What're you doing, Cyrus?" I asked, actually quite interested on what career path Cyrus was hoping to advance on.

"I'm doing an English degree."

"So you're twenty-one?" I guessed, mentally hoping that I was correct.

"That I am. I'm old I know, I get it. Not everyone can be at the joyful age of eighteen like the two of you," he dramatically sighed, looking rather depressed at the thought of his age.

"In a few years time you might be a father, Cy. You're going to be so old!" Hayden teased him causing Cyrus to groan even further.

"No, no, no, you're going to give me nieces and nephews first, Hayd. I order it!"

"How the hell am I going to do that? I'm a gay man for crying out loud."

"Adopt. Do anything but I must have nieces and nephews. I must, Hayd."