Thirty-Six

Evelyn

"She looks a lot like you, Colin."

I was going to the kitchen to get a glass of water before I heard them talking about me in the living room. I halted in my steps and edged closer to the opening of the door to listen to what they were talking about.

"Evie has Brianna's nature though, Mother. She's sweet and kind but a little naive." I could hear Dad placing his glass on the table after speaking.

"I hope she isn't as hasty as her mother otherwise she'll be having babies at a shamefully early age too." I tiredly raised an eyebrow at her comment. I had only known her for a few hours and the lasting impression she was making on me wasn't very good.

"MUM! Even after all these years you still point that out. It's been nineteen years and your granddaughter is finally here, but despite all that you're still caught up in the past." I wanted to high-five Dad for defending Mum and I before realising that I wasn't meant to be listening to the conversation in the first place.

"I'm caught up in the past because you're thirty-seven years old, Colin, and you have no family of your own. You don't have a wife and you don't have kids." Grandma hissed at Dad. Her hands were tightly clenched into a ball as if she was preparing to punch her son any minute now.

"I do have a child and that's Evie. I don't need anyone other than her."

"You sound terribly cheesy right now, Son. Brianna is dead and she will never be your wife. That daughter of yours doesn't look like she's that fond of you so do yourself a favour and get married and have kids that actually want to spend time with you and us."

"I'm not having this conversation any longer, Mother. Please, leave." That was my signal to dart right away from the room and back to the kitchen where I originally was headed. It was reassuring to know that Dad was supportive and protective of Mum and I, and I truly appreciated it.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I looked up to the owner of the voice who almost crashed into me whilst holding a tray full of glasses of water.

"It's okay."

"I apologise for asking this, Ma'am, but are you new here?"

"I am. My name's Evelyn and I'd prefer it if you didn't use such formalities with me." I smiled towards him so he didn't think I was hostile.

"I apologise, Evelyn. My name's Elliot." He bowed his head slightly in my direction. I smiled again and took a glass of water from his tray before turning around and going back to my bedroom.

"Evie, you're up?" I stopped in my path and turned around at the sound of my dad's voice.

"I was planning on going back to campus to pack everything up."

"I'll drive you there."

"Sure." I hastily gulped down the water and went out the door towards the car. "You seriously don't need to drive me back, Dad."

"Yes, I do." Not another word was spoken as we got in the car and headed off to Ashby. I just needed to grab my suitcase and start my summer holiday for a month before moving into the flat that I was going to be sharing with three guys. 

I waved goodbye and ran up the stairs to my dorm so that I could get this over and done with as soon as possible. I sauntered into my room and I was welcomed with the usual comforting silence I always had. This was the last time I'd see this room and I couldn't help but feel a little sentimental. Memories of both happiness and despair were made here and those memories changed my life in ways I previously couldn't have imagined. One thing I'm taking from this room is to be cautious around people you've just met since you never what they're fully capable of until you've spent a lot of time around them.