Chapter 14: Will You Go Out With Me?

So, it's been a few days, and I'm starting to forget the whole thing with Nick, which I'm glad about because I don't want that drama in my life. Anyway, Julia and I are going through a rough patch. Here's how it started:

When I told her that Nick wanted to ask me out, she asked me whether I'd say yes or no. I told her I would say yes. She didn't like that answer. "Faith are you crazy? He's a fuckin jock for petes sake!" I sighed. "I'm aware, but he defended me when Tiffany tried to flirt with him. He's also comforted me when I was depressed AND he purposely helped me with my books when I was on crutches! Still think he doesn't care?" I said defiantly. "Well if that's what you think, that he doesn't give a shit about me, then think it for all I care! Its a free country!"

And with that she stormed out of the room, probably pissed at me. So that went great. Since today is a Sunday, I'm at my dads house. I got a text from Nick.

"Hey, its Nick. Meet me at the park in 10 minutes."

Ok, I thought. Maybe we could just hang out. I was pretty hungry, and there were some food places near the park.
"Dad! I'm going to the park!" I yelled so he could hear me from a distance. "Ok sweetie, just be back home in 2 hours, okay?" He asked. "Yeah. 2 hours." I said back, letting him know I understood. I had black ripped jeans on and a t-shirt along with a maroon leather jacket. I also had combat boots. I left with my hair brushed over to one side and a pair of sunglasses. I got in my black convertible and left for the park.

10 minutes later, I began to see the familiar park area. I looked down the street too, where there were places to eat since I was hungry. I checked my watch. 12:05pm. Perfect timing. I got out of my car and looked around. I saw Nick, looking around by the trails. I walked over to him.

"Hey Nick." I said casually.

He looked at me. "You came. That's cool. Want to go for a walk? And just, like, talk?"

That actually sounded like a good idea. I smiled. "Sure, that sounds great. But I'm pretty hungry. Could we get something to eat after?" He looked back at me. "Sure, why not?"

We entered the trails. It was nice, being around nature. I took a camera out of my bag and took a few good pictures. After that I put my camera back and looked up at Nick. "So...." I said, trying to start a conversation. He looked happy. "So, what's your story?" He asked. I put a bit of thought into that.

"Well, I started fighting when I was 15, and I've broken my arm before. My parents are divorced, I thought I was taken care of well by my parents. I started out as a nerd, but as I realized who I was, I just went along with it because it's one of the only pieces in my life that haven't been ruined by the queen bees and the other jocks. I wanted to protect the good parts of my life and keep them close. My birthday is May 14th. So, yeah. That's my story. What about you?"

He smiled. "Well, my birthday is August 12th. I was always the center of attention and I liked it. My friends had my back and I had theirs. I never had any interests for the popular girls, like the cliche boys do. I wanted a different girl who stood up for herself. My parents have been divorced for 9 years. I never kept secrets because I felt there was no need and again, I like being the center of attention. I never lie. I have never dated anyone else before. I'm at my moms house right now. Finally, I.. like you. That's my story."

I looked at him. "You know, I think I like you, too. I just wasn't able to admit it to myself."

By then we were back at the park. My stomach rumbled. I clutched it. "Ugh I'm hungry. Can we get something to eat?"

He nodded. We walked up the road and got subs at Jimmy John's. "Well, that did it." I said, satisfied. He smirked. "Yeah. Me too. Anyway, I had something to ask you." He said, looking right into my eyes. "Sure." I said casually.

"Will you go out with me?"