Chapter 31: Well, That's Nice

'Dad! Dad!' I called as I ran in the woods. It was something I loved to do when I was younger.

He ran to me, as he had just gotten out of his car. He tickled me, and I laughed until I couldn't breath. Maybe even then.

My life was perfect.

"Dad, who's that?" I asked when I saw a lady sitting in his car. He turned to me, a look of surprise and fear flashed across his face. "Oh, its just a friend."

I raised my eyebrows. I was pretty confused.

That was one summer ago. It was the first time I saw her. And from that time, I knew in my heart there was something wrong.

Suddenly memories flashed in my head of the exact moment mom told me they were getting a divorce, and when she told me he was cheating on her.

It was one of the most painful memories in my life.

My eyes shot open, as tears started to flow freely down my cheeks. I sat there for a few minutes, quietly sobbing, and looked over to my clock. 3:15am, well shit. How am I supposed to sleep now, with those memories wandering my mind? As I sat up in my bed, the memories flooded my mind of the first time I'd seen that woman. I had thought of her as a simple friend. But it turned out that it was much more and it played a part in the divorce between my mom and dad. As a temporary solution, I sat there, letting the memories eventually drop out of my conscience, and eventually I fell back asleep. And this time, I had no memories of the divorce going through my head. In fact, I didn't dream.

~~~

I didn't really understand why this was hitting me so hard just now. That, in fact, was the first nightmare I'd had about it. Yes, it took me a while to sort of get over it, but when it was revealed to me that dad was cheating, it hit me again, and this time, it was much harder. Much more effective. I just hope that I can function. I don't want to end high school unhappy!

I was also slightly concerned because since I had a fight today, and sleep actually effected my performance. So, I planned to grabbed Starbucks as I went home after school. But enough planning for after, considering school would start in just under an hour. Since I wanted to have time to relax before school, I quickly went to my dresser and grabbed some clothes. I grabbed some black sandals and went down the stairs to the kitchen where breakfast was being made. Other than the divorce, I did have a pretty decent life. I would prefer staying with my mom other than my dad because it was dad's choice to leave. And though it would fade from my memory sometime later, I will never forgive him.

I ate a meal consisting of some eggs and toast before taking my bag off the hook by the garage and dashing out the front door. I could already tell that today was going to be a tougher one; I could pretty much always tell when it was one of the days where I just didn't feel like doing anything. But nonetheless, I needed to keep a decent grade to be accepted into a good college. Yawning, I turned on my car and pressed the gas pedal, driving off to the hell hole a.k.a. school.

When I pulled up to the school parking lot, I turned on my phone's screen that read 7:01, Wednesday, May 31.

I have to say, I think time is purposely going slower just because it's the end of the school year. I parked in the lot before hastily grabbing my bag and walking into the school. Since the school year is coming to an end, and especially senior year, the teachers are cramming us with finals testing. I swear, it is one of the most annoying things in my life.

Strangely, the few days I decide to skip, I never have any tests. So, today I likely had at least one.

To cut things short, today was nothing short of boring. Well, except for the test in Science, which was probably the definition of boring. And easy.