Chapter 2: The Bet

Chapter 2

"You look cheerful for a Monday morning." Reggie said as I got out of my truck.

I felt the smile grow on my face as I slammed the door shut, straightening out my hair.

"You have no idea how great this week is going to be." I said confidently, reaching into the bed of the truck to grab my backpack. "There's a new girl."

Garret grimaced, glancing at his brother. Reggie just laughed, knowing that there's nothing they could do to talk me out of it this time.

"Don't go getting distracted, now." Garret sighed as we started walking towards school.

"What? When has that ever happened before?" I raised my eyebrows.

"He's got a point, you know." Reggie laughed. "What's she like?"

I scanned the parking lot, knowing I'd spot her immediately if she was anywhere near us.

"Uh..." I trailed off, turning back towards the school.

And there she was, getting out of a small little city car, something you'd never see in these parts of Texas.

"That." I pointed forwards.

"With the red hair?" Reggie raised his eyebrows. "Gross."

"Nah you gotta get a look at her up close. She's got all these freckles and the brightest blue eyes and she-"

"Gag me." Garret muttered, bumping his shoulder against mine. "Shove it, McKinley, you're sounding like a pussy."

"Fuck you." I frowned, shoving his shoulder back. "She's got these big lips that would look enticing as hell wrapped around your-"

"Thanks for waiting for me!" A voice behind us interrupted my worse than crude comment.

The three of us spun around to see Kurt Lewis sprinting towards us, holding about three textbooks in his arms.

"Took you too long." I shrugged, turning around.

"Sorry." Kurt sighed. "Did you guys here there's a new girl starting today? Apparently she's like really cool."

"We were just talking about her." Reggie laughed, glancing up at me.

I shrugged. "Cool isn't the word I'd use to describe her."

"You were just-"

"The chick gave me the cold shoulder yesterday when I tried to introduce myself. But hey, she'll come around. After all, I'm Charlie McKinley."

"Jack ass." Garret shook his head. "

"Hey there she is." Kurt pointed in the direction of Elizabeth.

But pointing was no extra help. Almost everybody was looking at her.

I stood up even taller, poising myself to go talk to her.

"You jackass, you left without me this morning." Someone interrupted my attempts, putting their small body in front of mine.

"Chloe." I said, my eyes registering on my younger sister. "Shit."

"That's the seventh time you've done it and it's only the second week of school!" Chloe exclaimed. "You're so stupid. And mom says you have to clear the table every night for a month if you do it again."

"Sorry." I shrugged. "You weren't in the kitchen when I left."

"Because I said 'don't leave with out me, I'm going to get my shoes'!" Chloe yelled, drawing attention to us.