Chapter 16: Joey Basketball

Chapter 16

I was blasting the radio, jamming out to Kenny Chesney as I hurled down the old dirt roads.

The windows were rolled down, the wind was in my hair, and I was unbelievably relaxed.

I had spent my afternoon at the old barn and now I was on the way to the school for the game tonight.

It would be a piece of cake.

The team that we were playing used to be promising, but they lost their best players this year and were struggling to get on the scoreboard most games.

I wasn't the slightest bit worried.

By the time the second half came around, we were up by four touchdowns and our second string was out on the field to get some snaps under their belt.

"Look who showed up." Reggie said with a laugh, handing me a water bottle as he pointed over my shoulder.

I turned around, looking up at the stands. The field was lower than the lowest part of the stands, the bleachers elevated on a hill that was blocked by a brick wall.

Leaning against the fence wearing a NYU baseball cap was Elizabeth, her foot up on the ledge and her elbows resting on the chain links.

Her face was focused as she watched the game unfolding on the field.

She was surrounded by adults, keeping her distance from the rowdy student section.

"Shit." I whispered, pouring some of the water into my mouth.

Elizabeth winced at something on the field but I was too focused on her to worry about what my team was doing.

"Dude, aren't you watching the game? We just fumbled." Garret said, waving his hand in front of my face. "What's up with you?"

"I think he's got it bad for Jessa's new friend." Reggie laughed.

"Bro." Garret shoved my shoulder. "Get your head in the game. A month ago, you'd be able to completely block out everything to focus on what's important."

But Elizabeth is what's important.

I pulled my eyes away from Elizabeth and turned back to the game, shaking my head.

"Sorry." I muttered, pouring more water into my mouth.

Reggie and Garret just rolled their eyes at me and walked away to listen to what coach was saying.

Resisting the urge to look back at Elizabeth, I picked up a playbook and kept myself busy.

We won the game by a landslide and I just knew that the party at the bonfire would be one for the history books tonight.

But when I pulled up to the bonfire, I was disappointed to see that there was no tiny silver car.

I'd been looking forward to seeing Elizabeth, maybe I could actually get her to talk to me tonight.

"Don't look so disappointed." Reggie laughed. "We just killed it tonight, it's time to let loose."

I sighed, pushing my hair back from my face as I climbed out of the truck.

"He's got a stick up his ass because Elizabeth isn't here." Garret gave my shoulder a playful shove.

"Watch it." I mumbled, shoving him back.

"Well don't be so quick to be an ass, she's right over there with the girls." Reggie laughed, pointing across the bonfire.

Sure enough, Elizabeth was sitting on the back of Jessa's truck with a beer in her hand and laughing at something Jessa said.