Chapter 23: Let's Play Catch

Chapter 23

"You know..." I trailed off as I let Elizabeth into the barn. "Two things, actually. One, you could honestly just text me and I'd come over. Two, you really don't have to knock anymore."

"I dunno, what if you were like beating off in here or something?" Elizabeth grimaced, tossing her purse onto the table before collapsing on the couch with a groan.

"Uh, in the middle of a fucking barn? Nah." I laughed, shutting the door tightly. "What's up?"

Elizabeth just groaned, pressing her face into the couch cushion as she shook her head.

"I mean I thought practice went well today." I offered. "Sure the guys are gonna take some time to win over but like-"

"Charlie, I have had a day from hell can we please not talk about football." Elizabeth sighed, looking up at me. She sat up on her elbows and I don't know if she was doing it on purpose or not but that position made her boobs look amazing.

"Hey, fine by me." I laughed, biting my lip as I walked over to her.

Elizabeth sighed, her eyes meeting mine as she rested her chin in her hands.

"Okay but like I played like absolute shit today it was horrible." Elizabeth said quickly, sitting up on her knees.

She rested her hands on her thighs and gave me a pleading look.

"No..." I shook my head, sitting down next to her. "Everybody takes a while to get into the groove."

"Charlie." Elizabeth shook her head. "Oy vey..."

"Oy vey? Who the hell says oy vey?" I laughed, resting my arm along the back of the couch.

"A jew says oy vey, genius." Elizabeth laughed. "Have I seriously not said it before?"

"You're Jewish?" My eyes widened. "Jesus, you don't look Jewish."

Elizabeth scrunched up her nose and let out a sigh. "I know you don't mean it but comments like that can be interpreted as anti-semitic." Elizabeth told me, a slight frown crossing her face. "And I'm adopted, genius."

I stayed silent, my stomach sinking.

For one of the first times in my life, I didn't want to inadvertently offend someone by continuing to talk.

But then she was silent too, just looking at me, and I felt the urge to talk again.

"I'm sorry." I said quietly, scratching the back of my head.

Elizabeth sighed, rubbing her face with her hands.

"But how was I anti..." I trailed off, knowing I wouldn't be able to pronounce it if I tried.

"It's just sometimes... Sometimes comments like that are anti-semitic in the way that not all Jews look the same. There's a predisposed stereotype of the big nose, bushy hair, and shit like that. And just because I don't fit that description doesn't mean I'm any less of a Jew." Elizabeth explained, her eyes holding my gaze with intensity. "Don't worry about it. I just feel that it's my obligation as a Jew to stand up for things like that."

"Yeah..." I nodded, reaching for her shoulder. "Is that all that's on your mind? You look troubled?"

Elizabeth winced, reaching up to rest her hand over my own.

"I'm having a really bad day." Elizabeth sighed.

I frowned, scanning her face.

I couldn't help but think about what Tommy said...