Chapter 22: Welcome to the Team

Chapter 22

"Why aren't we on the field?" Reggie asked impatiently.

"We'll get there." Coach Turner sighed, typing something on his computer. "This is important."

"What could be more important than practice?" Garret grumbled, sinking low in his chair.

I glanced around the room again, even though I knew that Elizabeth wasn't in here.

Where was she?

Didn't she say she was playing today?

"I've got us a new kicker." Coach Turner said happily, looking up from his computer.

Kurt's jaw dropped and he sat up straight.

"Coach!" Kurt exclaimed. "Coach!" He said again, his voice slightly higher.

"Calm down, Kurt." Coach Turner sighed. "Let's just take a look at the film."

Kurt sunk low in his chair, matching Garret's posture, with a sour look on his face.

I leaned forwards, intrigued to see what Elizabeth could do.

"What's his name?" Garret called. "Where's he from?"

"Just watch." Coach Turner laughed as he pressed play on the film. "This was from their state game last season. Take a look at the posture on this kick..."

"Whoa hold on that's from like 40 yards out, no way." Kurt said defensively. "Coach, that's like some supernatural shit."

I almost couldn't tell which player on the film was Elizabeth but then I noticed the sway of the hips and a soft smile spread on my face.

All I could do was hope that she was worth it.

Obviously she made the kick, or else Coach Turner wouldn't have us watching this.

But there was still some doubt in my mind as the play began.

With one of the most solid contacts with the ball I'd ever seen from a kicker, the ball went sailing through the goal posts, with room to spare.

Several of the guys let out low whistles as Coach Turner paused the tape, cutting off the exuberant cheering from the stands.

"Good, right?" Coach Turner laughed, his eyes on me as if he knew that I knew.

I gave him a smile and a nod before glancing over to the door again.

"One more from that game that'll shock the pants right off of you." Coach Turner said, fast forwarding towards the end of the film.

They were lining up for a return kick and my stomach instantly sunk.

Didn't Elizabeth say this was how she got injured?

I instinctively glanced over at the door, my stomach dropping even more when I saw Elizabeth leaning against the doorway with a frown on her face.

Should she be watching this?

She whispered something to herself, not even noticing that I was watching her.

I turned back to the screen to watch the play unfold.

It was a beautiful kick, perfectly placed with impressive height.

The camera almost didn't catch the aftermath, but I instantly saw the whole in the lineup.

"Shit, the kicker." Garret whispered, seeing the same thing I did as the linesman missed his block.

Elizabeth went down like a sack of potatoes under the weight of the other guy.

And she didn't get up.

"So this amazing kicker got trucked, can he even play?" Kurt asked nervously, leaning forward anxiously.

"Yeah, she can." Coach Turner grinned, dropping the bomb.

I glanced back at Elizabeth and she had an excited look on her face as she tried to hide her smile.

"I know you all have heard of our newest student, Elizabeth Von Batton, let's welcome her to the team." Coach Turner said happily as she walked inside the room.

As expected, she was met with shocked silence from the guys as they all just looked at her.

"No. Fucking. Way." Garret said suddenly, looking at her in shock. "Coach, we're not having a girl on the team!"

"Dude." I whispered, giving him a look.

Garret glared at me and I glared right back, shaking my head.

"You're taking her side because the two of you are fucking. Open your eyes, McKinley she's a girl." Garret said harshly.

"We are not fucking and do not imply that she's an object." I snapped, unable to help myself. "Damn right she's a girl and she can out kick Kurt any damn day of course I want her on the team. Or is another state ring not on your agenda for this season?"

That shut Garret up and he sat there glaring at me.

"She can't out kick Kurt, he's our starting kicker and he earned it." Reggie spoke up, coming to his brother's defense.

"Elizabeth won't be starting, Kurt has earned his position in and out. I just thought it was time for a bit of fresh blood on the team." Coach Turner said with a sigh. "She's here more as a help for Kurt."

"Yeah, I won't be playing in games, as we discussed." Elizabeth gave Coach Turner a look to which he quickly nodded.

"I don't need help." Kurt said suddenly, his voice shaking. "I am perfectly capable of-"

"Oh please, your core strength is abysmal and your hips are all over the place." Elizabeth sighed. "You're practicing all wrong. It's not about repeatedly kicking a ball at the goal posts, you need the strength to back it up."

"And what would you know." Kurt snapped, glaring at her.

My eyes widened.

"Two nights ago you were sitting on her back porch, drinking beer, and telling her she was your favorite east coast girl you'd ever met!" I exclaimed. "Suck it up and accept that we found a kicker that's better than you. You've still got your starting position and if you shut the hell up you might be able to keep your dignity."

"Okay, Charlie, enough." Coach Turner sighed, giving me a look.

I took a deep breath, mentally slapping myself.

Of course people are going to get suspicious if I keep spouting all this shit.

"So when does the actual practice start?" Elizabeth asked happily, a smile crossing her face.

"Boys go get dressed. On the field in ten minutes. Elizabeth, a word please." Coach Turner sighed, taking off his hat to run his hand across his hair.