Chapter 19: Terrified

Chapter 19

"Who the hell lives in Texas and doesn't own beer?" Garret grumbled, holding a couch pillow tightly against his chest as he sunk low against the back.

"Fucking retweet." Reggie agreed with the same annoyed expression on his face.

"Give it a shot." Lola grinned, sitting up on her knees as she reached for the open bottle of vodka.

She sloppily poured a shot, a giggle escaping her lips as she held it out to Reggie.

He just looked at the stuff, a bitter look crossing his face.

"Last time he had vodka he was puking for the rest of the evening." Garret laughed, shaking his head. "Not gonna happen."

"You boys are lame. So much for being a tough Texas cowboy!" Joana exclaimed, reaching for the glass from Lola's hand. She knocked back the shot and shook her head once.

Elizabeth sighed, pressing her shoulder closer to mine as she folded her arms over her chest.

Something just wasn't clicking for her and I had the sudden urge to make everyone else leave and just sit there with her, even if it was in silence.

"I'll be right back." Elizabeth said suddenly, standing up from the couch.

She disappeared upstairs and everyone fell silent.

The New Jersey girls did that thing again where they all exchanged looks, as if they knew something the rest of us didn't.

"Hey, what's going on?" Jessa asked seriously, sitting up on her knees too.

"Yeah what aren't you telling us? She's our friend too now." Kylie agreed.

"I'm just surprised she had everyone over, that's all." Lola shrugged. "Vonnie's not a big party fan."

"Some guy got a little bit too close to home base with her one time when she was drunk and it just... It didn't end well." Joana mumbled, glancing at Lola.

The other girl, whose name I couldn't remember, was oddly quiet, looking down at her bottle of water.

"Shit." Jessa whispered, glancing at me. "Did you know?"

I shook my head. "But I'm going to go make sure she's alright."

"I wouldn't-"

"Well I am." I mumbled, taking the steps two at a time as I jogged upstairs.

Elizabeth was in her room, rummaging through one of her drawers.

"Hey, you cool?" I asked curiously, leaning against the doorway.

Elizabeth froze and slowly turned to look at me.

Her face broke into a frown and she let out a sigh.

"The girls blabbed, didn't they?" Elizabeth muttered.

"Are you alright? If you want them to leave we can-"

"Charlie, I'm fine." Elizabeth laughed, pulling a small bag out of her underwear drawer. "Just getting a little bit more fun."

"None of the guys are gonna smoke." I laughed, looking at the joint in her hand. "No way in hell."

Elizabeth frowned, walking towards me. "So? The girls will."

"Not tonight." I shook my head, walking towards her. "Come on. Don't overwhelm this party any more. The girls already think you're about to lose it."

Elizabeth laughed, putting the bag back. "Nah, they're over reacting."

"You sure? You've been kind of out of it." I sighed, resisting the urge to reach out and touch her hair.