Chapter 35: Diets

Chapter 35

I glanced down at my watch as I stood outside of Elizabeth's front door.

I was already ten minutes late picking her up, thanks to my sister suddenly demanding a ride to a sleepover, and I really hoped Elizabeth wasn't too mad.

It was a Tuesday night for goodness sakes, why was Chloe sleeping out?

I knocked again, a frown forming on my face.

The door opened immediately and Mrs. Von Batton stood there with a confused look on her face. Her face was blotchy and her eyes were shimmering.

"Charlie! Hi!" She forced a smile. "What can we do for you?"

"Uh, is everything alright?" I asked carefully, sticking my hands in my pockets.

"Just wonderful." Mrs. Von Batton said with a sigh. "I uh... Nothing to worry about."

"Is Elizabeth here? We have reservations at 7:30." I frowned, shifting my weight on my feet.

Mrs. Von Batton looked confused for a minute.

"She uh... Honey I'm sorry I think she forgot, it's been a tense few hours here." Mrs. Von batton said quietly. "But you can go on upstairs if you want. She's uh... I'm sure she'd love to see you."

I frowned, stepping past her as I walked inside.

What was going on?

I took the stairs two at a time and walked into her room without knocking.

"Mom go away I said I don't want to talk about it." Elizabeth called from the bathroom.

"I'm not your mom." I laughed, shutting the door behind me.

"Shit I know I'm running late!" Elizabeth called. "It has been chaotic here I'll explain everything over dinner!"

"No worries. Are you alright?" I asked curiously, staying at the door.

"Just spectacular." Elizabeth replied sarcastically, turning off the bathroom light.

She walked out of the bathroom and I swear my heart almost stopped.

"Holy shit." I whispered, crossing my arms as I took in the sight of my beautiful girlfriend.

Her hair was straightened, reaching all the way down her back. She was wearing white skinny jeans and a black tank top, with black heels on.

"You're gorgeous." I shook my head, walking towards her.

"Thanks." She grinned, leaning up to kiss my cheek before walking over to grab her purse. "Ready?"

"Is everything okay? Your mom seemed pretty upset." I frowned as I followed her out of the room.

"Yeah well that's just her being a drama queen." Elizabeth gave me an annoyed smile as we walked down the stairs. "BYE MOM!" She called.

She pulled me out of the front door before we even heard the response.

"Okay what's going on? Why is it a fucking ice box in your house?" I asked quietly as we walked towards the car.

"Can we just drop it until we get to dinner, please? I need food in my stomach before I talk about this..." Elizabeth pleaded.

I bit back what I was going to say as I opened her door for her.

Elizabeth sighed, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek.

"Thanks." She muttered, getting into the car.