Chapter 24: A Fun Time

Chapter 24

My heart was twisting in my chest as I sat in my car outside of Elizabeth's house.

It was a Thursday afternoon and since we had a big game tomorrow, we had a light practice with mostly strategy review.

Elizabeth had given me a casual 'see you later' after practice, nothing more around the guys, and then she was gone.

So here I was, trying to decide if it was worth it to go inside or not.

If it was weird I could just always say I was here for some football thing...

"Fuck it." I muttered, getting out of the truck. I glanced in the mirror to fix my hair and then mentally slapped myself for being so lame.

I ran my hands through it, probably undoing anything I had just done to fix it.

I tentatively knocked on the front door, my heart in my throat as I waited for an answer.

Her brother was the one to open the door and looked sincerely shocked to see me.

"Fucking great." Tommy groaned. "Elizabeth! Your boy toy is here!" He called before turning to walk away from the door.

"Um..." I mumbled, unsure if I should walk inside again.

"Charlie! Hi." Mrs. Von Batton said with a soft smile, appearing around the corner. "Listen, right now isn't the best time..."

"Tommy shut UP!" Elizabeth yelled from upstairs.

"Guys stop the yelling!" Mr. Von Batton's distinct British accent traveled from upstairs.

"You're doing it too!" The twins yelled in unison.

"Tensions are kind of high right here and-"

"No, mom, this is a perfect time." Elizabeth said harshly, pulling on a jean jacket as she sprinted down the stairs. "Charlie let's go."

"I wasn't-"

"Yes you were." Elizabeth snapped, putting her hand on my chest to push my backwards out of the door.

"Elizabeth you can't just leave!" Tommy yelled, appearing around the corner again. "Mom make him leave! We were having a family discussion!"

"That family discussion ended ten fucking minutes ago thanks to you." Elizabeth glared at her mother before forcibly dragging me away. "Don't wait up!" She hissed, pulling me towards the truck.

I didn't hesitate or waste any time as I unlocked the door and let her get into the passenger side.

I stayed completely silent as I turned on the engine, my mind still reeling from the insanity I had just witnessed.

Elizabeth took a deep breath, resting her hands on the dashboard before turning to look at me.

"Hi. What's up?" Elizabeth asked, offering me a smile.

But I couldn't think of any words to sum up what I was feeling right now so I did the only thing my poor brain could think of, I leaned forwards and kissed her.

"Drive me somewhere that we can do a whole lot of that and I'll be a happy girl." Elizabeth said quietly, pulling back just enough so her eyes could meet mine.

I nodded, putting the car into reverse and pulling out of her driveway.

"Don't even ask me what that was about because I swear to God I don't want to talk about it..." Elizabeth shook her head, leaning back against the seat with a troubled look on her face.