Chapter 36: Misconceptions

Chapter 36

I had to park three houses down from Elizabeth's house when I went to hang out with her before the game.

Typically, before big games like this I'll go out to the barn and get myself in the zone all alone.

But today, I was switching things up.

Elizabeth had asked if I wanted to chill before the game and how could I say no?

But there were three other cars besides her little silver thing in the driveway, an SUV, a black Jeep, and a little Chevy Cruze. There were three more cars along the road too around her house, all with New Jersey license plates.

How the hell did all of these people drive down here?

The door was open when I walked up to the front porch and I was beyond confused.

"Hey Charlie." Mrs. Von Batton smiled as I walked into the kitchen. Mr. Von Batton simply gave me a nod, briefly looking up from his laptop.

"Everyone's in the living room." Mrs. Von Batton said happily.

"Everyone?" I raised my eyebrows. "It looks like you're throwing a party here." I laughed.

"Didn't Elizabeth tell you? All of her friends came down for the weekend." She grinned.

"No, no I didn't know." I frowned, my stomach uneasy as I walked into the living room where there were five people sitting around talking loudly and drinking iced tea.

"Tommy, what's going on?" I frowned, standing behind him behind the couch.

"Charlie! Hey!" Tommy grinned, turning around to face me. "I didn't know you were coming over."

"Yeah, back atchya." I replied, sticking my hands in the pockets of my sweatpants. "What's going on?"

"Massive chemical spill on the football field so we have another bye week." Tommy shrugged. "So we all came down for this game."

"Two bye weeks in a row in the middle of play offs?" I raised my eyebrows. "The fuck?"

"I dunno, man." Tommy shrugged.

"Where's uh, where's Elizabeth?" I frowned, glancing around the room.

There were two of the guys that had come down with Tommy the first time and two of the girls that were here for Elizabeth, but there was no way I could remember their names.

"Upstairs probably. Just warning you though, she's..."

I didn't even hear what Tommy said as I jogged up the stairs towards my girlfriend.

Why didn't she tell me people were coming over?

I stopped dead when I got to the top of the stairs, articles of clothing on the floor catching my eye.

I would recognize that bra anywhere.

I froze, my stomach twisting as I took a shaky breath.

What the fuck was going on?

There was a white t-shirt on the floor next to it and I felt my heart start pounding in my chest.

I had a bad feeling and this was no way to feel before the second biggest game of the season.

As I stepped closer to Elizabeth's room, I heard laughter and the unmistakable sounds of two people getting some and my stomach fell to the floor.

I ran my hands through my hair as I felt my eyes start to burn, unable to properly prepare myself for what was happening behind that door.

How could she do this to me?