Chapter 45: Game Day

Chapter 45

"McKinley, Von Batton, a word please." Coach Turner said seriously, fixing his hat.

I stepped away from Elizabeth as we silently walked over him, shockingly solemn considering what just happened.

"Word travels fast in my brother's team." Coach Turner said once we were inside the conference room.

Elizabeth let out a sigh, bending forwards as she put her head in her hands.

"God dammit, Elizabeth." Coach Turner sighed.

"Look, Coach, I'm sorry that I didn't tell you but I didn't think it was relevant." Elizabeth said seriously. "Until this weekend only like three people on the planet knew."

"I'm not talking about your little unfortunate incident with Brian James last year. I'm talking about this weekend. Give me your hand." Coach Turner said seriously.

"Jesus." I whispered when I saw it.

It was even more bruised than yesterday and swollen beyond the point of normal.

Coach Turner let out a low whistle, examining it.

"You understand that I can't play tonight if I'm in a cast." Elizabeth said seriously, staring directly at him. "I'm managing the pain, it's not going to affect my playing at all. I just... I'll get it checked out first thing tomorrow morning."

"First thing after the game." Coach Turner demanded without hesitation. "They're gonna have to re-break these bones to set it, you realize that? A week without attention... Shit." He shook his head.

Elizabeth nodded. "I know. But hey, it's States."

Coach Turner nodded, rubbing the back of his head.

"McKinley thank you for not being stupid this weekend. If you would've come back with a broken hand..." Coach Turner shook his head. "Jeez."

I glanced at Elizabeth, both of us knowing that I did punch Brian James and I would've kept going if Elizabeth hadn't knocked him out.

"Okay but he fell like a bag of potatoes. She packed so much weight behind that punch..." I said proudly. "Coach, you should've seen it. He was going off about..." I trailed off.

"I know." Coach Turner sighed. "My brother got many first hand accounts of people who saw and once he realized that the two people were you, he called me."

"Thanks Hank." Elizabeth muttered, shaking her head.

"Then why am I here, if it's just about the hand?" I frowned.

"The two of you have been off all week. And I need to make sure that there's going to be no drama tonight." Coach Turner said seriously.

"It was all a misunderstanding." I said quietly. "And no, no drama."

Elizabeth nodded in agreement.

"Monday was rough at practice..." Coach Turner gave us a look. "You sure you're good?"

"Coach, seriously, that wasn't a relationship fight. That was a member of my team was being a little bitch and I gave them laps." I said honestly.

"Wow, ouch." Elizabeth laughed, turning to look at me.

"You want to deny it? You pushed me."

"Because you threw the competition!"

"Because I was worried about you!"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, standing up from the chair.

"We good to go?" I asked as I stood up.