*4 °Taking Over

Jamal

"For the 10th time this morning, why did you ask me to come home?" I look from mom to dad.
Why are they stalling if they know it's not bad news? They've refused to tell me anything for the past few days.

"Jamal... you see son, I'm considering retiring from the company. I'm getting old and it's hard to keep up with all the tasks," dad says.

"So? You can retire. What does that have to do with me?" I enquire.
Mom and dad both share a brief look before he continues.

"I want you to take over the company here," He blurts out. I feel like I've just been slapped, as my head whips back in shock.

"Wh- -what?" I stutter. "You want me to take over? Here? Just out of the blue?"

How is this happening? They want me to give up my life in New York, and just relocate home? And they planned all this without even warning me first.

"No dad," I protest. "I won't do it, I can't do it," I can't help how angry I sound.
"You can't expect me to just accept this calmly. I've spent the past 10 years of my life in NY, dad. That's my life now, over there."

Pacing about, I try to reign in my anger. This is unexpected, it's unbelievable!

Mom tries to calm me down, "You're our son Jamal. What do you want us to do? You're the only one we could think of. It's yours by right...and besides we miss you." She whispers in a small voice.

"Don't, mom. Please don't try to guilt me into doing this," She winces at my words, "I always come home to see you guys whenever I can."

I sit down and try to cool this anger, the shock riding off me in waves, but damn it! It's not working. Closing my eyes, I pinch the bridge of my nose. I can't look at them, I just can't.

"Son, please. We need you," I feel mom's touch on my arm, warm and gentle. It's not helping in any way to relieve the feeling of betrayal.

"But why now?, and who's going to help Asad with the business in NY if I leave?" I direct the question at dad, referring to my cousin, uncle Najib's son.

"Tasleem and Lilo will do that, you don't have to worry. " Dad replies, staring at me with pleading eyes.
Oh great! That's just fantastic!

"She knows?" I ask, surprised with this piece of information. My sister had known all along and didn't bother to tell me, I'd been offered as a sacrificial lamb.

"Yes, and we're sorry we're telling you like this", He responds.

"I know it's a lot, but we wouldn't ask you to do it if we didn't have to," Mom says in a sad voice. Her voice tugs my heart and the regret in her eyes. She looks down and places her hands on her laps.

"Your dad's health isn't that good, Jamal. The doctor said he needs to lay off the work. That he should rest, and just take care of himself", I stare at my dad and my voice cracks.

"Dad? Is this true? Is it serious? Why didn't anyone tell me?" I can't think right now. Why are my parents suddenly keeping things from me?

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the way I reacted", and just like that, a huge chip of my anger melts away.
Sure, it's unfair, but they're my parents. I may not be well versed in Islam, but I know never to intentionally hurt or disobey them.

Isn't that what the Quran says, 'to honor your parents, and show them kindness, especially in their old age, and have mercy on them, to take care of them, like they did for you when you were young' .