*30 °None But You

Jamal

"Is Jahid preparing breakfast again?", I ask aunty Asma'u, who's stretched out in the study room with a book nestled on her legs.

"You bet he is," she replies without looking up. "Let's hope it's something palatable this time around. It's a good thing Nadia is with him sha."

I smile, leaving her to her lonesome as I go down the stairs. Hafsah passes me along the way, a smile on her face when she sees me. I can't help but feel blessed in this moment, seeing my family regularly in person and not through calls or video chats.
If only lilo was here as well. I make a mental check to call them up later since its been a while.

"Jamal, come here will you?" mom beckons towards me when I reach he last step, scattering my thoughts.

I walk up to her and sit on the arm rest, "Do you need anything?"

She nods, "My feet are aching, can you give it a little rub?"

I look towards dad seated on the opposite sofa, his attention on the the television.

"Dad, isn't this supposed to be your job?"

Before he gets a chance to reply, I feel a smack on my arm, then meet mom's threatening gaze.

I plaster on a quick smile, holding off the laughter that tickles my throat. I take her feet and place them on my thighs, then begin to rub gently between the toes and heels. A sudden moment of deja vu washes over me and I'm reminded of a previous time when Lilo and I used to this same thing for mom when she was pregnant with Jahid, especially when dad was absent. It leaves a warm feeling in my heart; of love and happiness, making my throat tight with smothered tears.

"Mom, you have to know that your glares have lost their effect, yeah? I'm not 5 anymore and didn't I warn you not to go shopping for too long? I'm starting to think that's the only reason you came to Abuja."

"Say whatever you want. Don't forget that I never shop for myself alone, most of the things I buy are gifts to my family and friends." She relaxes, closing her eyes with a sigh.

I continue with the task at hand, occasionally talking to dad about certain things. First the company, then personal matters. He asks about Nadia's graduation which is in two weeks and the near completed project in South Africa.

"You're doing okay, Alhamdulilah. Who would have thought you'd settle down nicely here? I used to worry that you wouldn't want to stay." Dad voices out with a solemn voice.

"I did dislike the idea you know." The memory brings up a smile, despite the severity of the situation back then. Though I'd put up a happy face in their presence, it had upset me a lot.
"I didn't even have a clue that I wouldn't be returning and I felt it unfair. But then going against your wish is not something I could ever do."

"We knew you wouldn't be happy about it, but we prayed for you to find happiness here, always." Mom chips in.

"That, I did." I look towards the kitchen, where the clanking of pots and utensils fill the air, along with soft-spoken conversations.

Dad laughs, then resumes his talk with mom. They reminisce about the old days and dad delves smoothly into a Fela song, whistling softly.

Jahid joins us in the living room, a bright pink apron strapped on. He's covered in oil stains and a white powdery substance.

"What are you doing?" He asks, gesturing with his eyes towards mom's feet.

"I'm giving him a lesson," mom replies, beating me to it.