*7 °Tiny Disasters and Surprises

Nadia

Hmm. Butter, sugar, eggs and flour. I arrange them on the kitchen counter, measuring and weighing. Another go at banana cake.

If I don't get this right, then I'm not moving on to the next cake recipe. I've already made a batch of lemon flavoured cookies, with sugar crust and it's a-ma-zing! If only Zahra could taste this, I just hope this cake cooperates.

I turn on the mixer and in goes the butter and sugar. I let it do it's work while I whip the eggs with a whisk, then add it to the butter mixture. Few minutes later, the mashed bananas follow. God, please let this work, or at least taste okay. The dry ingredients end up last and the mixer churns them into a creamy thick batter.

I pour it into a baking pan and into the oven it goes, setting the timer to 30 minutes. I grab the book I was reading before, 'Burn for Burn' by Jenny Han, pretty good stuff, I so love her books.

25 minutes later, my phone starts ringing from the pocket of my apron. The display screen shows a picture of Zahra, with funny rabbit ears.

"Hey, salamualaikum sis," She greets from the other end.

"Wa alaikum salam, wow! You called. Are you missing me already? It's been what? 2...3 weeks since you left" I tease her, while setting down my book. I'll be back for you later, baby.

She snorts, "Don't get ahead of yourself. I'm just bored is all. I tried calling mom and dad, but they sent a text saying they're out on a date?" She asks in surprise.

I chuckle in reply, "Yup, it seems our parents are acting like teenagers. I hope they have a good time though" I lean against the kitchen cupboards, "What's up? How's school treating you?"

"Ugh! Don't get me started sis. It's really stressful and my roommates are out to a party," She complains.

"Sucks right? The sacrifice of being a med student." I eye the book on the counter, touching its spine.

"So what are you up to? I thought you'd be out with the girls."

"Nope" I pop the 'p'. "Farha wanted to do some school research work at the library, while kat is at a party tonight."

She sighs out of tiredness, and I can just picture how drained she must look. Medical related courses are the most strenuous to study, what with the work load, constant reading and general stress.
"Tell me honestly, how are you holding up?" I ask softly

She groans, "It's hectic work. I live a triangular life Nadi, school, library and hostel. Then I have to make time for mosque and Islamic functions. The only thing keeping me up right now is caffeine."

"It'll get better in sha Allah. This is why mom and dad were against you studying medicine, they thought you wouldn't be able to handle the stress."

"You know why I have to do this, there's a reason for it. I can't just give up because it's difficult," She says forcefully.

I rub my temple, feeling an argument brewing. Zahra can be stubborn sometimes, but I like to put it in a milder way... determined.

"Yes, I'm aware of that. Like, 3 years ago when you dropped the bomb. I remember mom and dad having a fit over it."

They'd said studying medicine was tasking and tried to change her mind, but she remained firm in her decision. Up until then, she'd wanted to study Engineering as she was always the best in Maths and Physics. So it really was quite a shock when it came the time for the JAMB exams and she'd written Medicine as her first choice. It took a while, but mom and dad finally decided to let her since she wouldn't budge.