*29 °Of Aches and Desires (1)

Nadia

Seconds after Jamal walks through the door, I try to calm my racing heart and concentrate on fixing up my night gown...or what's left of it. Some of the buttons have been torn away, leaving nothing but a dangling thread.
With a sigh, I pull out a long silk robe from the closet and quickly wrap a scarf over my head, curious to see who's at the door.

I walk down the stairs, tying up the robe in a knot at the front. I almost trip on a step when I hear the familiar voice of Jahid and rush down to join them. Jamal is still standing at the door, looking more surprised than ever while Jahid slouches on the couch.

"Salamualaikum sis," he greets pleasantly with a wide smile.

"Wa alaikum salam, what are you doing here?" I ask, more questions burning in my throat. "Did you come alone? What of ummi and uncle?"

"Ah, which I'm I answering first?", he asks instead, brows furrowed.

That's when I hear more voices coming from outside. It seems Jamal has already gone out to meet them. I recognize ummi's gentle yet dictative voice and uncle's calm baratone. I rush out to meet them, not missing aunty Asma'u and Hafsah amongst the crowd.

"Ah, Nadia," ummi walks towards me, her arms outstretched. I hug her warmly, greeting them while trying to keep the surprise out of my expression.

"Look at the expression on her face Alya," uncle says with a laugh as he claps Jamal on the back while ummi looks on. "On both of their faces to be exact."

"Why don't you come in, it's really cold out here," I chip in, drawing their attention.

Uncle smiles warmly, "It's okay. We just wanted to drop by to let you guys know we're around, we'll be heading to the house now."

"Now?", Jamal looks at them incredulously. "Why don't you spend the night here, then go home tomorrow?"

Ummi places a hand on his forearm, "It's not that late, the streets are still busy and besides, we wouldn't want to impose on you two as unexpected as it is. We'll see you again tomorrow in sha Allah."

Jamal goes silent for a while, thinking it over before saying, "Okay then, but I'm driving you home", and walks into the house.

"I'd really like for you all to sleep over uncle, Jamal and I wouldn't mind." I regard them both, taking in their tired expressions.

Ummi smiles, insisting on going home. Giving up, I say my goodbyes and watch them leave the compound to wait in the car. Going back in, I find Jahid sprawled out on one of the sofas, legs and arms splayed in a deep sleep. I clamp a hand over my mouth to silence my laugh, then gently shake him awake.

"Uh Uh What is it?", he says sleepily, rubbing his eyes like a little boy.

"Everyone is going home and they're waiting for you. You'll be able to sleep well there." I help him up until he's somewhat conscious.

"Yeah? I guess I'll see you tomorrow then. Goodnight sis-in-law", he ends in a yawn, then walks out.

I head upstairs to the bedroom and meet Jamal changing his clothes quickly. His head dips as he works on the buttons, thick brows furrowed in concentration. Interrupting halfway, I help him with the remaining buttons, his look of surprise melting into a smile. I refuse to look up at him, knowing those dimples would have made an appearance.

"Feeling shy all of a sudden? Let's not forget what you did..."

I stare at him sharply, heat creeping up my cheeks. "Drive safely and call me when you get there. I think you still have your stuff at the house, so there will be no need to pack anything."