*28 °Comfort Of Home

Jamal

"I swear to God, if you don't fix your face right now, I'll send your butt back to Abuja".
Stephen stands over me, a deep frown on his face. Even more, he has his arms crossed and looks on the verge of carrying out his threat.

"There's nothing wrong with my face", I mumble a reply, staring at the blank screen of my laptop.

"I think the mirror would say otherwise. You look like a lost puppy who just had his chew toy taken away.  Seriously man, you just spoke with her and you're seeing her tomorrow". He huffs a sigh and crashes on the couch.

Nadia had fallen asleep during our long video chats, like she does every night. I know how she dislikes sleeping alone with no background sounds. So we talk until she falls asleep, which she does reluctantly after mumbling a drowsy good night. The first night I'd left, I actually watched her sleep for hours until the laptop battery ran down and then tried sleeping myself but couldn't.

Stephen had told me to chalk it up and deal with it, as this was the first time I've ever been away from her since the wedding. I glance towards him, realising he's probably used to these kind of trips away from his family.

"Do you ever get used to it? These long trip I mean?" I ask him.

He hums, staring at the chandelier. "I pray I never do, because it'll mean I have nothing to rush home for. But I do, I have my wife and kids. I'm not saying the trips aren't pleasant, but there's nothing like home and that's something one should always look forward to."

I nod in agreement, then grab the remote to switch on the TV. The evening news comes up and surprise surprise, Stephen and I are the main headlines. They show a brief part of the meeting we had with the governor and minister, shaking hands and smiling broadly.
I'm pretty sure they were happy to rid themselves off the people who had been loitering around with no homes.

"Well, that was exciting. Those greedy politicians think of none but themselves." Stephen laughs, "You'd be surprised how much they have in private accounts hidden in some foreign country." He shakes his head ruefully, then changes the channel to sports.

He casts a glance my way, "By the way, what are you still doing in my room? Planning to sleep here too?", he asks, wriggling his brows.

I throw a pillow at his head hard, then leave him to his lonesome, his laugh still loud as I click the door shut. I head to my room opposite it, letting myself into the plush room. A faint scent of lavender lingers in the air, another reminder of Nadia. I remember the day I'd asked her about her perfume, only to receive a confused look from her. She'd told me she didn't use any perfume, but a special talcum powder one of her uncles always gifted her with whenever he traveled. It was surprising how something as insignificant as a talcum powder, could carry such a strong but delicate scent around.

I take a quick bath to freshen up before going to bed, since we have an early flight to catch back to Abuja. My mind keeps veering to the fact that dad hasn't called yet, even when he promised to and it's way too late for me to call. As if on cue, my phone starts to vibrate silently on the nightstand.
I pick up the call, noticing I've already missed a few calls from the same number. Not sooner than the phone reaches my ear before someone starts to bellow out angrily.

"Bloody hell Jay! How long does it take you to pick up the damn phone?"

I wince from the loud tone, moving the phone away. "Hey, Alex. Long time, no see. "

I hear his exasperated sigh and laugh, I can imagine he wishes he were to give me a good beating. I remember when it was just us three; Tasleem, Alex and I. He used to be too lanky to take any beating whatsoever, but God did he have a sharp mouth and could cuss to the moon and back. Pretty sure he hasn't changed a bit.