Cryptids

THIRD PERSON

"Hey, mom," Alice said, the evening still. "Could you take a picture of me with your Polaroid? Y'know, the one you got for Christmas."

"Sure, honey," Alice's mother replied, leaving to her office. She returned a short while later, clutching a blue Polaroid between her hands. Alice stood in front of the kitchen bench, near the drying dishes. Her mother asked, "Why?"

"Just want to," Alice answered, plastering on a small smile. Her grey scarf fell past her shoulders. Her mom clicked the button on the Polaroid, and a brief flash occurred. Alice heard the Polaroid's engines whirring, and the picture being printed out. Alice's mom held out the picture for her daughter; she grabbed it. Alice smiled. "Thanks mom!" Then she exited the room, her faulty leg slowing her down.

"You are a funny one sometimes, Alice." Alice's mother sighed, shaking her head.

ALICE

Fierce Fox was waving her shiny, blue Lighting Staff item nearby Amelia when I approached her on Home Island.

"Got you a present." I said, as I handed her the photo.

"Who's this?" Fierce Fox asked. She was observing it with wide eyes. "Are those... Thumbs? What's that on her leg?"

"That's me," I answered, with a bit of dry tone. "Yes, those are thumbs. That thing on my leg is what keeps me stable and walking properly. Without it I'd fall over, which I do quite often." I felt my throat grow dry as mocking voices echoed in my head.

"Greetings, Alice and Fierce Fox!" Amelia came over to say hello. "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing." I said, taking the picture out of sight.

"Ah, so I hear you're part of a prophecy," Amelia commented brightly, as if being part of some prophecy where villains constantly try to abduct or kill you is a good thing. "Is it going well?"

"Could be better," I answered. "I mean, I could tell you that I nearly died a few times, but I don't wanna scare you. Oh, wait..." I shook my head, as my friends laughed.

"Have you seen this flyer?" a man with a brown beard asked, handing us a flyer. I gave him a nod, then Fierce Fox and I headed to these rich people's houses. They're these grand, stone buildings, almost like castles. Especially with the thick, brass gates in front.

"Go to that tree over there," I ordered Fierce Fox. "And there'll be five bucks in it. Grab it, go to the grocery store, and buy the Sports Nectar drink. Then, give it to that gardener over there and get his gardening shears. I'll be near the lighthouse area." Fierce Fox nodded, and ran off to do such things. Meanwhile, I exited the rich people's area, went through the town (which is sort of similar to Counterfeit Island, at least in my opinion). I arrived at a grassy area, which leads to a port with a big lighthouse.

"Loch Ness, here I come!" an adventurer in a blimp cried, as he soared into the brilliant blue sky. I passed a few people holding kites, a metal fence and floating chairs. I got to the rocky port, right next to the lighthouse. A lady with a fire-coloured hang glider was standing there. I pushed her off, and somehow, she bobbed up and down and left the scene. I leaped onto a shed's roof, which is connected to the lighthouse. I waited until I saw Fierce Fox.

A hot air balloon rider's rope was attached to the roof. So, using the gardening shears from Fierce Fox, I cut him off, and he flew off into the sky. The rope landed in my inventory; I faintly grinned. I led Fierce Fox past all the people, and didn't stop running until we got to a small shop called Kitty's Kites, which has little, colourful, paper windmills on the roof; large, glass windows; blue, wood, walls. We entered, and I took a moment to gaze at the magnificent kites, from the small to the big.