Mystery Train

I met my new friend through piling luggage onto a train in 1893.

"Thank you for your help!" Thomas Edison thanked Fierce Fox and I. He has short, grey hair, and wears a formal, brown tuxedo. In case you didn't know, he's a famous inventor that invented the phonograph and the light bulb. He smiled at us and rummaged through his pockets. "Say, how would you two like to come along with me to Chicago? I could use your help again." He handed Fierce Fox a train ticket, then turned to me. "And for the hero." He gave me a ticket.

"You know too?" I asked, though I shouldn't have been surprised.

"Doesn't everyone?" Thomas replied, with a chuckle. "Yes. It was in the newspaper- talking about 'Poptropica's hero' that defeated criminals."

"Wow... I'm more popular than I thought," I chuckled. "But you're pretty popular too. I have to say it before I forget- thanks for inventing the light bulb. Trust me, everyone loves it."

Thomas smiled. "You're welcome... Alice, isn't it?" I nodded. "Pleasure's mine. I'll meet you both on board in my cabin, where you can see another one of my inventions." Then Thomas wandered off, leaving Fierce Fox and I alone.

"Please stop clicking with everyone," Fierce Fox groaned. "It makes me feel like an outcast."

I laughed, though with a bit of sorrow. "I never click with anyone in my world. I'm normally shy... if there's one good thing about this hero stuff, it's that it's helping my confidence." I sighed. "Now come on, we've got a train to board."

"The wheel isn't working!" George Ferris- inventor of the Ferris wheel- cried. We were on the train, which is an old steam train, which you rarely see these days. The train has posh walls, a lush carpet, and various carriages. I felt a little bad for George Ferris, but I knew he'd be fine in the end. Fierce Fox and I continued our walk through the train; we spoke to the following people:

Nikola Tesla (Thomas Edison's rival), Gustave Eiffel (the guy who invented the Eiffel Tower), Susan B. Anthony (a feminist, basically), Eric Weisz (aka Harry Houdini), a New York Timesreporter, Mark Twain (a famous author), and finally, Mademoiselle Moreau (the antagonist, Paris enthusiast and Le Monde reporter). Oh, and we picked up a pencil. Then we spoke with Thomas Edison.

"I'm going to unravel an incredible new device," Thomas explained, pointing to his device (more commonly known as a video camera). "It actually captures moving pictures! Let's try it out." He pressed a button; the engines started whirring. He beamed. "It's working! Wait here, I've got to go and find that New York Times reporter!" He exited the room, leaving Fierce Fox and I alone.

"Three, two, one." I said, snapping my fingers. The train drove into a tunnel; darkness filled the entire room.

"I can't see a thing!" Fierce Fox cried. Light suddenly returned, and Thomas Edison's device had vanished. Perfect timing; Thomas re-entered with the New York Times reporter.

"My machine!" Thomas gasped, waving his arms, before glaring suspiciously at Fierce Fox and I. "What have you done with it?"

"I don't know what happened to it!" Fierce Fox answered with shock. "It was here when the lights went out, and then..."

"My invention- stolen!" Thomas Edison cried. "The thief can't have gotten far..."

"You're right," I said, nodding. "In fact, they could be right next door." I winked. I turned to Fierce Fox. "Come on Fierce Fox, we've got a mystery to solve." She nodded, and followed me out of Thomas Edison's cabin.

"Alright, spill the beans. Who's the thief?" Fierce Fox asked, folding her arms.

"I won't tell you right now, but I did give away a clue- right next door." I replied, with a smirk.