Wimpy Boardwalk

Marcus and I sat on my bed in my bland bedroom. My bedroom isn't very exciting. It's mostly white, grey and black, because I don't feel like any other colours suit it.

"Been awhile since someone other than Mom's been in here." I said, grinning at my friend.

"Really? You don't have friends come over?" Marcus asked, raising his brow. "Thought that's what you girls are into."

"Maybe not all girls." I sighed, digging my nails into the duvet cover.

"So, why didn't you want to play Poptropica at lunch?" Marcus asked, staring at me. "Thought that's what... you were into."

"I dunno..." I said. I chewed my lip. "I like- no, love Poptropica... but I don't really feel comfortable playing it at school, apart from that time a little while ago." I really hoped Marcus would believe what I was going to tell him. Fear clogged up my throat.

"You alright?" Marcus asked, noticing my fear.

"Look... it's just about being judged," I answered shakily. "I don't know. I'm having some issues with a friend right now. Maybe that's making me anxious."

Marcus put a hand on my shoulder. "I used to care all the time, what they thought of me. But I knew I couldn't change myself, not even for them. So I stopped caring, and after a while, I felt free. You can do the same."

"Really?" I asked, feeling touched.

"Yeah!" Marcus laughed. "Do what you want. I don't know who this friend of yours is, but don't be afraid to express yourself to them." He shook his head. "Now, enough sappy talk. Let's do something... er, less sappy."

"Sure," I replied, staring him in the eyes. "But first I have something to show you." I brought out my treasure box, the patterns on top glowing in the sunlight. Carefully, I brought out all the items I received from Poptropica. Marcus raised his brow at them. "I've got a bit of a story to tell you. It's gonna sound really crazy, but you have to believe me."

Fierce Fox glared harshly at me as we sailed over the great Poptropican sea. I sucked in my breath, taking in the salty air.

"Look, I know you're upset," I began. "And I'm sorry. It wasn't right to betray our tribe like that... I was only helping a friend."

"You should've thought of that when you were helping your 'friend', prophesied hero." Fierce Fox growled through clenched teeth. I sighed and stared at the approaching island: Wimpy Boardwalk. Immediately I could see the cartoonish appearance. Remember Wimpy Wonderland? Wimpy Boardwalk looks like that, except coloured in. And it isn't snowing, either. In fact, it's sunny, and is set on a beach with a large carnival full of games.

"This game is rigged!" our old friend Greg exasperated, as we landed on the boardwalk. "And I'm already down to my last twenty dollars."

"Do not hold that up!" I advised, leaping in front of Greg before he could grab his money. "Put that back in your pocket. Now."

"Um... alright." the middle-schooler said apprehensively, stuffing the money back in his pocket. "Why?"

"The wind'll blow it away." I answered, eyeing teenangers at the end of the boardwalk.

"How do you know that?" Greg asked curiously.

"Logic," I answered, which was the first excuse that came to my head. "But if you want to win Himalayan Hurl, you'll need the lucky rabbit's foot."

"Trust me, I know that," Greg sighed. "But Rowley won't give it to me."

"Dad says I can't let anyone have it." Rowley said sadly, shaking his head.