Chapter 27

Clip : Corpse bride. Please watch it. It is mentioned later.

Tristan

When I was eight, I had once failed a maths test. My father had always been very particular about academics. He did not tolerate failure in anything. As a result I was absolutely terrified of the scolding and punishment he would surely give me.

I had imagined that telling him and showing him the paper would be the hardest thing I would ever have to do in life. Then later on I thought that coming out as gay would be the hardest.

Those situations felt like jokes when compared to the trouble I was in right now. Telling Damien about Alexander was easily the toughest thing I have ever had to do.

I pulled him aside after dinner and led him up to my room. He came without question. I think he sensed that there was something wrong. He quietly sat on my bed and patiently waited for me to speak.

My mouth was becoming drier by the second and I was on the brink of hyperventilation. I kept pacing around in my room, trying to gather my thoughts and courage.

I began to talk and prayed to God that I wouldn't start crying. Damien did not interrupt. He listened and did so calmly. He did not look distressed even when I told him about Alexander's alarming words and status.

I was immensely grateful that he wasn't freaking out like I was. His calm,collected demeanour and patient eyes helped me gain back a bit of my confidence. I would have surely gone crazy if he hadn't been so collected.

"What do we do now," I said despondently. I looked at him imploringly for some reassurance and strength. Damien smiled warmly.

"It's going to be okay love," he said and drew me closer to him. "I will not let anything happen to you. I promise."

His deep voice and comforting hands had magical powers. I could feel the anxiety seeping out of me drop by drop. A few minutes ago I was freaking out about my life and now here I was, more relaxed than a baby. It was just a matter of seconds before I was dead asleep.

The wedding day was here

For a bride to be, Beth was weirdly calm as opposed to her madness in the previous days. It was the groom rather who needed comforting.

I was Harry's best man and the ring bearer. A grey suit was kept on my bed which I was supposed to wear. I thumbed the material and marvelled at its softness.

I put on the suit carefully so as to avoid creases and went to the mirror to look. I gasped. For once in my life even I had to admit that I looked good.

The suits dark grey complemented my pale skin. My curls did not look too girly, instead they made me look surprisingly young and dare I say cute. A lot of people  used the word 'exotic' to describe my appearance. I never believed them. But today, just for today, I did look exotic.