Chapter 37

Damien

Living without Tristan was an absolute nightmare. It made me realise just how dependent I was on him. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, hell it even hurt to breathe freely.

It had been 3 days since Tristan was abducted. Today was the fourth. The past three days had been pure misery for us all. His parents had come down to the city and were currently staying at a hotel.

His mother had been absolutely distraught when she got to know. Even his usually stoic and stern father had seemed distressed. Beth was more furious than sad and she had vowed to cut off Alexander's balls and nail them to her wall when she got her hands on him.

But today I was determined to do something fruitful than sitting around and crying. The police were obviously getting nowhere and I did not want to imagine what my baby must be going through at the hands of that monster.

I was going to do whatever it took to bring him back.

I put on a new shirt and threw away the one I had been wearing for the last three days. I hadn't cared to change or even bath. It all seemed pointless without Tris here.

But today I needed to be presentable. Because I was going to meet with a very important person, someone who could potentially bring back Tristan.

I honestly hated myself for not remembering this man sooner and wasting the past three days.

Years ago when I was a resident working the night shift, a patient had been wheeled in past midnight in a critical condition. It was a classic case of drug overdose. The boy, around 15, was literally hanging off the edge of death.

Drug overdose cases were not unusual but there was something different about that particular patient. He had striking aristocratic features and his clothes were clearly worth my entire months salary.

I had started treating him immediately and thankfully I was able to save him. That was when I met his elder brother. The man was breathtakingly stunning but there was a clear aura of danger surrounding him. He was accompanied by a lot of men who all seemed to be equally dangerous.

The man had thanked me in a dangerously soft voice for saving his little brothers life and had given me a number. He had said to call if I ever needed help.

I needed help more than ever now.

I till today have no idea who the man was or if he could even help me with a problem like this. But my instinct said that he was no less powerful than Alexander and was possibly in the same field of business.

Either way I had given it a shot. I had searched through countless drawers before finding the card and calling the number.

The man who had picked up had asked me to meet them at a hotel today at noon. He had assured me that their boss was a very generous person and would surely help me.

Boss.
As if he was the head of a mafia. Which he very possibly could be.

Under any other circumstances I would not consider this at all. It was extremely shady and dangerous, not to mention possibly a violation of law. But I was desperate. If I had to chat up a mafia leader or drug dealer to get Tristan back, I am very much willing to do so.

I studied my reflection in the mirror and made sure that I looked decent enough. It was thirty minutes to noon.

The hotel they had asked me to go to was a popular high end one. I was supposed to go to it's restuarant and say that I was there for a meeting. Apparently that would be enough.

The hotel was a short distance away by bus. As I sat on the bus, the nervousness I had tried hard to suppress reared its ugly head again. What was I even doing? Trusting a man who gave me his card years ago to bring back my boyfriend? Would he even remember me? 

There were too many what ifs but I was desperate enough to ignore them. I fiddled with my fingers all throughout the ride. I couldn't even remember the last time I had been this much of a wreck. Probably never.

I reached my destination a bit too soon for my liking. I checked my watch. 10 minutes to noon.

For some reason, I was sure that I did not want to be late for this meeting. I entered the well decorated lobby and asked for the restaurant.

The restuarant itself was a beauty. I was immediately assaulted by the smell of spices and the sounds of cooking. I barely noticed them though.

I approached the lady who was welcoming the guests. She smiled at me widely and said," Welcome to The Capella Sir. Do you have a reservation?"

I shook my head.

"Okay sir. Then I am afraid you will have to wait for some time. I am sure we will have a table for you soon."

This was it. I braced myself and tried to appear confident as I said," No thank you. Actually I am here for a meeting."

Her smile faltered but it was back again. She did know exactly what I meant.

"Of course sir. I will lead you to your table right away. Please follow me."

He was here already? Oh Lord above.

She led me through the restaurant towards the back where the tables were farther away from each other for privacy.

I immediately spotted him. He was sitting alone at a table and looking through his phone. He was still exactly as exotically stunning as I remembered him to be.

My stomach twisted uncomfortably and I had this sudden urge to run as far away from him as possible. But of course I couldn't.

He looked up as we approached and his sharp silver eyes were no less dangerous than a silver knife.

I should have been relieved that it was just him alone but for some reason that made me want to disappear immediately.

"Here is your appointment Sir," the lady said in a soft voice and walked away, leaving me alone with him.

He was looking straight into my eyes and I tried to meet his gaze confidently. I tried to guess if he remembered me or not but his face and eyes were absolutely devoid of any emotion.

He smiled softly and indicated the chair in front of him.

"Please take a seat Doctor. I am so delighted to meet you again."