Chapter 40

Tristan

I was currently sitting in a spacious living room with my hands tied behind my back.

There was a huge porch opening onto a private beach right in front of me. The scene was a surreal one, something I would have immensely enjoyed under other circumstances.

As to the reason why my hands were tied, the men who had apparently rescued me were responsible for that.

After they had dragged me out of that house, they had immediately covered my eyes with a blindfold and my mouth with a cloth. My hands been tied and I was more or less pushed into the car. Suffice to say that it was an experience I did not want to relive.

A car drive had followed after. I don't know how long we were in the car or where we went or which country I was in for sure. The car had halted and I had once again been dragged out very unkindly.

The moment they removed my blindfold and untied my hands, I had punched the guy nearest to me. Though I was fairly sure that his hard face hurt my hand much more than I hurt him, it was very satisfying to watch him cry out.

The other men had immediately tied my hands again but thankfully had left my eyes and mouth uncovered.

I was taken to an airplane and roughly pushed inside. I was really getting tired of that. The plane ride was uneventful except for them telling me to shut up every time I tried to ask a question.

And then they brought me to this house after we landed. So all in all it was similar to getting kidnapped a second time.

The men apparently did not trust me enough to leave me with my hands free. They were not gone though. I could hear their voices in some distant part of the house.

At this point, I was very confused about what was going on. These men had claimed to know Damien but hadn't spoken a word about him to me after that.

I had believed them for a short while back there but now it all seemed too good to be true. I knew Damien and he was so far away from this world of crime and kidnappings. There's no way he could know such men.

One thing was for sure. These men definitely did not work for Alexander. In fact they seemed to despise him. One of them had said something about him in the car in a different language and the others had laughed loudly. The hostility and mockery in that laughter had been unmistakable.

Several possibilities and thoughts were whirling around in my head. Maybe they were rivals of Alexander who wanted to use me to blackmail him. That was actually very probable according to me. Or they could be employed by some other psychotic maniac who also wanted me but that was so so unlikely.

After a while it all became too much and I forced myself to stop thinking and concentrate on the view outside.

The sea was a beautiful blue and the waves sparkled in the sun. The sand was a very light yellow and pristinely clean. It was obvious that it was a very well looked after beach.

I don't know how long I sat there staring at the waves crashing onto the shore before I felt a presence behind me.

I looked back and the sight almost made me gasp in wonder.

A man stood behind the couch, a man so exotic that he looked grossly out of place in this normal room. He smiled softly as our eyes met, his as sharp as a silver knife and as deep as the ocean before us.

"You must be Tristan," he said. "It's very good to finally meet you. I am Demi."

I managed to croak out a hello.

Demi walked around the couch and sat down beside me. "I am sorry my men had to tie you up like this. They told me you were being too feisty. Now is that true Tristan?"

A sudden wave of inexplicable shame washed over me at having disappointed this beautiful man. I almost wanted to say sorry and beg for his forgiveness.

"Yes I am afraid I punched one of them," I said nervously. He laughed, an actual hearty laugh.

"I am glad you did. They can be very annoying sometimes. I hope Alexander did not hurt you too much. I would hate to return you to Damien injured. He would be so heartbroken."

"You know Damien?," I asked, completely at attention now.

He nodded and began untying my wrists. "Yes I do. He told me about your kidnapping. I promised him that I would get you back for him. It took some time to get to you but I had to be sure about everything."

I stared at him, not registering what he was saying. Everything about this situation seemed so unreal.

"Damien came to you? Why? I mean how does he even know somebody like you?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Somebody like me?"

My eyes widened. "Oh no no I didn't mean it like that.."

He chuckled. "Its okay Tristan. Relax. I know what you mean. I met Damien a long time ago and I owed him a favour. He's a really good man. And he really really loves you. You are very lucky."

"Yes I am," I said softly. An overwhelming wave of emotion filled me. I hadn't seen Damien in so many fucking days. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to be hugged my him. I wanted to see him right now and never let him go.

Demi seemed to understand what I was feeling. He patted my back and told me to be ready to go. He assured me that I was going to be able to see Damien very soon.

I still couldn't believe it that I was actually free from Alexander. I had begun to lose hope of ever going home. But it seemed as if I was really going home this time.