Chapter 39

Tristan

Alexander was gone. It had been around two days since he had left and hadn't returned. I couldn't be more thankful for his absence. The mere thought of being in the same house as him made my skin crawl.

My stomach still had a light purple bruise where he had kicked me. The imprints of his fingers on my chin had disappeared but I could still felt those iron strong fingers gripping my chin.

Th men who worked for him were still here though, silently lurking like shadows. They never spoke to me or touched me. They didn't even speak much amongst themselves. All I ever saw of them was when they came to give me food.

I hadn't slept properly the last few days. Every time I closed my eyes all I saw were vivid images of Alexander torturing me, raping me or worse, killing Damien and my family. I had begun to slowly realise the extent of the danger I had brought upon myself and those I love. I would never be able to live with myself if something happened to my family and friends because of me.

There was another thing worse than Alexander though. Sheer boredom. The room I was kept in was bare and had just the minimum required furniture. There were no books or magazines here or anywhere in the house rather. I had literally nothing to do than think and that was a dangerous activity nowadays.

I am almost sure this was another way of breaking down their prisoner, to make them delve so deep into their minds that they slowly lose their sanity. I had no doubt about the fact that I could very well lose all sense of reality if kept here for months on end.

My one salvation was a small window in one corner of the room. The view outside was nothing spectacular. It overlooked a part of the backyard of the house. Just trees and grass. The window could be opened but there was nothing outside but a vertical wall and a fall to certain death.

The window was definitely not helpful as an escape route but it was the only good thing in my life now. It helped to remind me that the world was still beautiful, that the wind was still as comforting, the grass still as green.

I had forced myself to not think about Damien. Whenever I thought about him my heart broke and I was tired of piecing it back together everyday. I would give anything to be able to even talk to him, to hear his deep soothing voice, assure him that I was unharmed. Was he even taking care of himself? I was sure he was not. He was probably working himself to death as a distraction.

I swear if something happened to my Damien I would cut up Alexander's body piece by piece and feed them to vultures. He could hurt me all he wanted but not him. Never him.

It was afternoon now and I was sitting against the wall below the window, enjoying the warmth of the sun. I had slightly dozed off when loud noises woke me up. There was a loud commotion coming from the outside, men yelling and things crashing to the floor.

Alarmed, I quickly stood up. I had no idea what was happening but it seemed violent and dangerous. Amidst all the chaos and noise loud gunshots rang out. I gasped.

The gunshots did not stop but continued on. I was full on panicking now. I considered hiding under the bed but quickly decided against it. There was no way I would ever fit in there. I would have hidden in the bathroom but there was none in the room. It was outside.

Just as I was considering actually trying to fit in under the bed, loud footsteps echoed and the door to my room was flung open.

I screamed. Four men came tumbling in with guns in their hands and blood on their faces. I automatically put my hands up on instinct.

They looked around the room and underneath the bed. Then the largest one out of them grabbed my arm. I was about to scream again and begin struggling when he started speaking," You are Tristan right? You have to come with us. We are here to get you out."

I was sure I looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Get me out? Why? How did they even know my name? Was this a trick designed by Alexander? Some kind of twisted test or something?

The man must have seen the indecision on my face. He started yanking me towards the door. I thrashed and struggled. I was so not going to be kidnapped again.

"Stop struggling," he said in a gruff voice with a tinge of an accent to it. "Your boyfriend came to our boss to rescue you. He's a doctor isn't he?"

I immediately stopped struggling. Boyfriend? Doctor? Damien!? I wanted to ask so many questions but this was obviously not a good time. They dragged me out to the living room and I almost screamed again.

The bodies of the men who were guarding me lay on the floor with blood staining it. There were around six to eight bodies, all shot dead.

It was a nauseating sight. These men were evil to the core but they were still humans of flesh and blood.

I was even more terrified now of these strange men who claimed to be my rescuers. They had to be highly trained to have killed all of Alexander's men within such a short time.

Who were they? And how did they know where to find me? And the biggest question of all : how would Damien know men like these?

What in the hell was even happening?