CHAPTER 7: Connections

Location: Libero, Night Kingdom.

In the morning after breakfast, I sat outside on the porch stairs reading a Lightning Bolt Squadron booklet with information about the application process. "Naeva, guess what?" Owen said walking over and taking a seat next to me on the porch steps. "What is it?" I asked looking up smiling at him, "My aunt just offered me a permanent position in her company" Owen answered, I hugged him tightly but let go when I remembered that he would have to move to Tiria "Really, that's great!, but isn't her company in Tiria?" I replied a bit disappointed. "Yeah, but she said I can work from here" He responded I looked up at him again. "That's great, It would get pretty boring here without you," I said playing with the booklet trying to not appear overly happy about him staying.

"What you got there?" Owen asked me so I handed him the book so he can have a look. "I was looking for requirements for joining," I said standing and looking up, it would be easier to join if I had my wings. "Joining? but..." Owen said before I interrupted "I know, I don't have wings but maybe just maybe, if I show them I'm good enough," I said with an optimistic tone. "You miss flying?" Owen said walking towards me and leaving the booklet on the steps as if he had read my mind. "Sometimes," I said turning towards him,

"but racing with you on the ground is much more fun," I said smiling before it becomes an even more depressing conversation. "Naeva... If you go can I go as well?" Owen asked looking down, I looked at him his eyes seemed sad and gentle. "If I make it, I'm sure you can make the team as well" I answered taking his hand getting him to smile again, he was faster than me and if they were going to start letting in non-avians, I'm sure Owen would be one of them, Owen smiled back. "Oh, which that reminds me tomorrow is birthday and we're throwing a party," I said running back to get an invitation for it, it was pretty last minute but my parents thought it be fair to throw me a birthday party since Oswald had a going away party not long ago with his friends.

"I know it's last minute and all but I hope you're not too busy to come," I said handing him the invitation. "You know I always have time for you, Thank you for the invite," Owen said with a kind smile. " Okay, you said it, so if you don't come tomorrow you'll have to run 10 laps around the track," I said teasing him. "10? Then I guess I can't miss" He said laughing.

The next day was my party, it was a small gathering mainly for family and friends. Cornelius and Rosalie even made time to come. We gathered in the living room when Milan asked me to talk to him in private. "Where's Naeva?" Owen asked them when he spotted them in the living room. "She's with Milan, right now" Cornelius answered looking towards the direction of the kitchen. "Okay, thank you," Owen said making his way to the kitchen.

"I apologize for being rude the other day," Milan said bowing. " Lets just not talk about it," I said and started to walk back to the group when Owen came in he noticed Milan's gift wrapped in an elegant design, It was a sword with a black jewel embedded into it.

"There you are," Owen said, Milan looked up, "Owen, how you been," He said walking towards him. "I'm good, Naeva happy birthday" Owen answered looking over at me. "Thank you, I'm glad you came" I answered walking towards Owen, Milan stood in the back and didn't come to join us till later to reveal his gift. Apart from that, he didn't talk much to others like he would before.

After the party was over and Owen arrived at his house. He noticed that the house was strangely quiet. His parents weren't home which was strange, he thought maybe they left for the bar or to get more beer. The next day came and they still didn't seem to be nearby, he cleaned the house and thought to wait and see if they would ever show up, they didn't at all. Owen didn't think much of it since his father was known to leave and thought maybe his mom left as well, mainly because she always threaten to leave the house. After he finished cleaning up he headed to the tree where he had made plans with Naeva to meet.