Chapter 13: She Needs A Friend

"Come on, at least think about it!" Pink pleaded, looking up at Yellow and Blue, her hands balled up into fists at her sides to keep from making rude gestures at them. 'Talks' with them always left her wanting to kick something and cry in frustration and demand a hug from her pearl all at once. Why couldn't they just listen for once in their lives!?

"Pink-"

"Orange needs someone to attend to her and be with her constantly. This switching back and forth between us isn't good for her." Pink continued as if she hadn't been interrupted.

"Absolutely not." Yellow immediately shot her down, her brow furrowed in frustration as she glared down at her, her arms crossed over her chest as they always were when discussions of any kind happened with Pink. "She doesn't need a pearl, when she's old enough and starting her first colony, in a few millennia," she quickly added with narrowed eyes at Pink, "then she can have a pearl."

"But yellow-"

"You coddle her too much, Pink." Yellow said in exasperation, "She's fine, and a pearl is not given out to just anyone."

"But she's a diamond, and she deserves a pearl!" Pink's foot stomped on the ground, this situation was all too familiar to her, and she hated it and Yellow's refusal to listen to her.

"Like you?" Yellow sneered, "At least she doesn't demand things. She hasn't asked for one, so this entire conversation is pointless and a waste of our time."

Pink watched as Yellow turned from her, getting the familiar feeling she was being dismissed, and Pink wished she was larger just so she could punch Yellow in her high-up stupid face. How dare she. How. Dare. She. "Just because you prefer to be alone, Yellow, doesn't mean she does."

"Do not presume to know what I prefer, Pink, and she isn't alone. She is constantly in the presence of one of us, or our own pearls. She has her own guard! That hardly seems alone to me."

"I believe she is right, Yellow." Blue finally cut into their bickering, a tired look on her face, no doubt done with their back and forth arguments that never got anywhere when they were angry with each other. Which was always.

Yellow let out a loud groan and pinched the bridge of her nose, "Not you too."

Pink watched expectantly as Blue turned to Yellow, "She is constantly being moved between us, it would do her some good to have someone who is always by her side. It would also mean someone to keep her out of trouble while we work."

This seemed to perk Yellow's interest, who turned to look at Blue now, a look of contemplation crossing her features, "So, we would give her a pearl as a babysitter?"

"As a guardian," Blue amended, "and having a pearl will teach her some responsibility. How can she rule over millions of gems in a court if she does not have the experience of even one?"

Yellow hummed, her hand cupping her chin as she looked deep in thought. Pink nearly jumped in joy when she let out a sigh and looked away from both of them to glare at the wall beside her, "Very well. We shall get her a pearl. Not a new one," Yellow quickly added, head snapping to look at Pink who happily ignored her in favor of grinning widely and rocking back and forth on her feet. "A pearl isn't a toy, and I will not waste resources to make one for a child."

Pink squealed nonetheless, "Thank you, Yellow! She'll be so happy, I just know it. You'll see, this will be good, for all of us."

Blue smiled gently down at her, and Pink was glad to at least have her on her side in this matter. " I hope so, Pink."

[Updated and corrected 1/1/21]