Chapter 43: Free

Orange stood with 5XP and 7XP, chatting quietly as they waited in the lower levels of White's palace, Orange's eyes turning to the doors every few moments in anticipation of her escort to the ship that would take her to Blue Diamond. She would be flying with a crew piloted by a Nephrite she wasn't familiar with, one of Blue's, who would also be taking her to Yellow's colony later in the month. But what really excited her was that she'd be going alone, without an escort guard. While she would certainly miss her new friends, the freedom of being without guards called to her more than she was prepared for. It wouldn't be like losing them in the palace halls or when it was just the Pearls escorting her. She'd be on her own, no protection, no bulky guards blocking her view, or advising her about things she honestly didn't care about. Just her, the ship's captain and her crew, none of which were made for fighting. The anticipation made her antsy, and the Carnelian's were too polite to tell her her fidgeting was annoying, so they had started a conversation to distract her, but she had gotten lost in their banter, somewhere between the latest gladiator fights at the arena and the new Howlites that had apparently taken up residency in White's palace. For what, she didn't know. She was simply content to sit there, her legs crossed and foot wagging to a random beat as she faded in and out of the conversation, solely watching the doors now.

Her impatience to leave was only made worse by her tiredness. She had stayed up so late with Pearl, she hadn't actually crawled into her own bed until after the sun had partially risen, and then she was being awoken all too soon. She was somewhat grouchy, but mostly just anxious. The prospect of seeing Blue, being away from Pearl for the first time in a long time, being on her own, and going to see a new colony being made. All combined together made for an itching feeling to build under her skin, making her want to get up and move to walk it out, but at the same time the mere thought of moving like that reminded her how tired she was, and reconsidered expending the energy she did have. She wouldn't complain if she was given another bowl of tablets just to munch on until she had to leave. 5XP had expressed an interest in the tablets, and eating as a whole, and while she had spit out the tablets after putting them in her mouth, which made 7XP gag, they both had begun to question what else could be found to try on Homeworld. Perhaps she could send one of them to get some tablets, give her something to mess with to keep her eyes from trying to close while she just sat here.

It took Orange longer than she would care to admit to notice that the Carnelians had stopped talking, standing beside her rigidly and facing to her right. They weren't saluting, but they were certainly in formation, as if facing a superior. Looking over, Orange blinked in surprise as she met Pearl's pale grey eyes, that serious expression of White's Pearl, not her Pearl, flattened out her soft features, blank and yet severe. It was an expression that commanded respect, in the name of their greatest leader. It even made her sit up a little straighter under its power.

"Ma'am." 7XP acknowledged Pearl, 5XP following her lead a moment later.

"Ma'am."

"Pearl?" Orange questioned as she stopped a distance from them, giving Orange a bowed diamond salute.

"White Diamond wishes to see you before you leave, my clarity." Pearl respond, not straightening up until Orange acknowledged her again.

"White? Do you know what she wants?" She asked, standing up and subtly stretching out the tiredness in her limbs, preparing for a walk through the palace and headship.

Pearl's hands fell to a clasped position in front of her, "No, my Diamond."

"I'll return, soon. Wait here." The young diamond ordered the two Carnelians, who saluted her in perfect unison.

"Yes, my Diamond!"

Orange motioned for Pearl to lead the way. "Okay, let's go."

Orange did not mind the lack of small talk, their long night together had been enough, and the silence she knew was more out of Pearl's professional attitude than anything to do with her. Orange waited in anxious silence as Pearl opened the doors to White's command room, the brightness of the room, or more specifically White, was not incredibly welcomed by her eyes, but she certainly wasn't going to voice this temporary discomfort.