Chapter 9

Maddison

Waking up to my phone ringing. I groggily answer the phone.
“Hello” “Morning sunshine.” “Ugh, Allen what do you want?” “Do you mind telling me why I just found out Gavin has a son. A teenage son?” I quickly sat up in the bed.  “Who told you?” “Is this why you want me to lie to Gavin?”

“Allen You better not say shit.” “Or what. You know I don’t plan to lie to Gavin when he asks. Now tell me who is this young man and what do you have to do with him and his mother?” “It doesn’t matter. I’ll get us out of this.” “You mean you will get yourself out of this. I meant what I said Maddie. When I see Gavin and he asks I am telling him.” “Let’s work out something. I don’t want to lose my husband.” I could hear him smiling over the phone. “Come over” “I’ll be over soon.”  

-          Friday –
After winning the game I went back to change and I heard him talking about how proud he was of the team especially me his son. Finally fed up I walked into his office.

“Great game son.” He says with a smile. “I quit.” “You what” “I quit this team.” Then I walked out with him on my heels. I got in Steve car and he drove off.

“Momma. I’m home.” “You did a great job today. I’m so proud of you.” “Thanks, momma. I quit the team tonight.” Waiting for my mom to yell she never did. “Jonah I know this could not have been an easy decision for you. I will support what your decision, however, you need to make sure this is really what you want.” “Thank you, momma. I just couldn’t deal with him anymore.”

“Baby I can’t imagine how hard this is on you. I’m always here if you want to talk.” “Can we please stay home all day for our day Sunday.” “Yeah, we can.” I give my mom a hug. I’m going to get a shower and go to bed. We going to see grandma tomorrow?” “we are” “alright. I can’t wait to tell her how I did in the game.” I watch my mom smile. “She will love it.” “Good night momma.” “Good night Jonah,” she says as I go upstairs.

-          Next day –  

Walking into my grandmother’s room I saw her laying still so still it scared me. If it wasn’t for the machines I would think otherwise. Looking at my mom I see the heartbreak in her eyes and it makes me wonder when is my mommy’s heart going to stop breaking.

SIMONE 

Walking over to my mom I kiss her cheek as I watch her sleep. A few moments later Odell comes in with some flowers for our mom.
“Pretty flowers. I know momma will love them.” “I hope so. Patrick said she just went to sleep not long ago. Nephew nice game last night. I see the pro’s in your future.” “After a college degree or two. Momma is strict with me on education.”

Odell burst out laughing. “She making you into a book nerd too.” He says still laughing. I punched him in the arm and laughed with him. “I was not that much of a book nerd.” “Sis you need to stop it. I recall you reading encyclopedia as a kid for fun. Who the hell does that?” he says laughing again. “Mom please tell me you didn’t.”

“Jonah don’t listen to your uncle he is over exaggerating.” “Simone you were reading Reader’s Digest like some old ass woman,” He says as him and Jonah burst out in a fit of laughter. “Momma you didn’t read Word Up or other teen magazines.” “ was keeping up with the world son.” “Yeah, the world of old people,” Odell says laughing. “Fuck you, Odell,” I say laughing. As his phone went off.

“Sis I hate to say this but dad on his way.” I nodded then went and hugged him as Jonah was hugging and kissing my mom on the cheek. “I’m sorry sis.” He says hugging me. “It’s fine just let me know when it’s safe for me to come back again,” I say then we pull apart. “Tell momma we were here,” I say as I kiss my mom on the cheek again. “Next time I come, momma, I will make sure I spend more time with you and hopefully talking. I love you.” I waved by to Odell then Jonah and I left before William came.

“Momma, can I go out with Steve and some of the teammates tonight?” “where are yall going and have you done your homework?” “I have finished my homework just need to study and I will be home no later than 10:30.” “I suppose it is fine. Is this going to be a weekly thing for yall?” “well the team actually goes out on Sunday’s and I don’t want to interfere with our Sunday’s. I told the team is when I got on the team. Sunday’s have always been our day and I don’t want to change it for anything.” I smile “Alright baby. You can go.” “Thanks, momma. Ima study before I go.” “Okay, sweetie.”

Sitting on the couch getting some orders for work and getting some appointments straight for next week. When I hear the doorbell. “Who is it” I yell out. “Coach Hall.” “I open the door and see this tall brown-skinned man with a smile making me weak in the knees.

“Hey, how can I help you?” He extends his hand to me which I take. “Hello, I am Keith Hall I am looking for Simone Peterson,  Jonah Peterson mother.” 

(KEITH HALL^) 

(KEITH HALL^) 

“I’m Simone. How can I help you?” I say while I open the door wider for him to come inside. “I am one of the coaches and I was wondering if you can talk Jonah into getting back on the team.” “That is my son’s decision and I will support him and whatever he decides.”

“Mrs. Peterson.” I hold my hand up to stop him from talking. “Please call me Simone.” “Alright Simone, the team needs Jonah.” “Let me ask you this Mr. Hall” “Please call me Keith.” He says with a smile which is getting me soaked. I snap back to the conversation “Keith, let’s say Jonah was still on the team and got hurt how would the teams still function without him then?”

“I see what you are saying and honestly I try not to think of my any of my players getting injured, however, I understand what you are saying. We do have another quarterback, but he is nowhere near as good as Jonah.” I hear Jonah coming down the steps. “hey coach if I can still call you that. What are you doing here?” “I actually came to try to get you back on the team. The team needs you, Jonah.” “I don’t want to let the team down I have nothing but respect for them and in this short time the bond I have made with some of them is irreplaceable and I will support them but I won’t play anymore.”

“What can we do?” “Anything” “Anything.” “Fire him. Coach Langford.” The look in Jonah eyes and the tone in his voice broke my heart. Both were filled with pain and heartbreak. “Jonah” “Coach I know you nor anyone else except the school can fire him and they have no reason to. I just can’t play for him or on the team. Sorry Coach.” “I understand Jonah.” He held out his hand for Jonah to shake and he did. “Momma I was coming to say Steve will be here in an hour and we are going to a Chinese restaurant then bowling.” “That’s fine.” “I’ll see you later Mr. Hall,” Jonah said. “Jonah that’s coach to you.” He smiled and went up the stairs.

“that is his decision and I will respect it and stand with my son. I am sorry.” “Is it true Gavin is his father.” I took a deep breath. “Yes, it is. I got pregnant when I was 15.” “You don’t look over 23.” I smile. “Thank you, sir.” “If I am not being forward can we go out next week?” “As in a date?” “Yes, I would love to take you out. Damn, I’m sorry I forgot to ask are you single?” I bite my bottom lip. Then smiled “I am single and I would love to go out with you but next weekend I can’t do, but what about sometime next week we go out for lunch?” “I would like that.” He gave me his phone and I put my number in and gave him his phone back. He text me. “Now you have my number. I look forward to seeing you again Simone.” He says smiling as I smile and say “Likewise handsome.” “I have to go but I will text you tonight.” “I look forward to it.” He kissed my cheek then left.

I started smiling, dancing and singing. “I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it I know I…” I was interrupted

 “I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it I know I…” I was interrupted

“Momma what was that?” Jonah says looking at me smiling.  “What,” I say smiling back. “He’s good man momma,” Jonah said then went finish getting dressed.

COMMENT:
VOTE:
SHARE: