Chapter Five: The Conversation

A/N: Is it just me or does it look like she's saying Jazz in the gif lol honestly I didn't plan that haha

    There was about ten minutes of class left half the class was asleep and the other half was almost there, too. But Dani was sitting at the back of the class hanging onto every word that left the teacher's mouth. The civil war had always peeked her interest. She didn't know why it just did.

"Alright everyone! I think that's enough History for one day. We have about, " The teacher, who Dani found out was named Mr. Burns, checked his watch. "ten minutes of class left. So, you all can do as you please for the rest of the time. As long as it doesn't violate school rule. Mr. Davis I'm talking about you!"

    Dani sigh, the sadness slowly creeping back into her as the fantasy of the past left and reality hit her like a slap in the face. She was suddenly aware of the golden-brown eyes that were locked on her and only her.

    Daniella turned her head making immediate eye contact with Jasper Hale. She was confused on why he was watching her. It made her slightly nervous, but calm at the same time.

"Can I help you?" She asked, raising an eyebrow, the question comming out a lot harsher then she intended. She didn't want to be rude to the blonde beside her, but she has a reputation to build in the new school. She wasn't going to let her feelings get in the way of changing how she was perceived at school.

    At her old school, she was walked all over, treated as if she was nothing, no one seemed to like her and she had a temper. She wasn't going to deny it and, boy, did it get her in trouble. Her school was one factor in why she wasn't as mad about moving as she probably should have been.

"Sorry, I just..." Jasper didn't have an answer. He couldn't just tell her that he was wondering why her emotions changed so dramatically throughout the History lesson. "..um I'm Jasper." He spoke. He knew that she already knew his name. He heard Daniella's group talking about him and his family in the cafeteria.

"Yeah, I know. Trust me your existence doesn't really go unnoticed around here." Jasper chuckled at Daniella's statement. He thought it was ironic, because their existence was something that his family wanted to keep secret.

"Sorry ma'am, guess I should have known that. People tend to gossip in a small town like this." He told her, his smirk somewhat radiant on his face compared to any other emotion Dani had seen before.

Dani laughed at the irony, "You got that right." She mumbled. Not meaning for it to be heard by Jasper, but Jasper heard every word loud and clear.

"Can I ask you something?" Jasper questioned Daniella, turning to her slightly in interest. Dani acted as if she was contemplating her answer before sighing and shrugging her shoulders.

"I don't see why not." She smiled turning toward him in her desk chair. Jasper smiled slighetly before jumping into one of his multiple questions he had for the brunette in front of him.

"What about history intrigues you enough to be one of the only people to stay awake during the entire class period?" Jasper asked curiously. Dani sighed as a small smile grew on her face and she answered.

"Honestly? I'm not sure. I've always been fond of history class. It just.." Daniella tried to explain, but the words wouldn't form causing her to sigh. "I don't know. I think that when I hear about it, when I read it or even when I imagine it, I just fall into a different era. Like I'm there living the time with them. Experiencing what I was learning and visualizing the things being done. It transports me to a simpler time. I know what your thinking." She says looking Jasper in the eyes.

"What do you mean?" He askes confused.

"Your thinking, 'Simpler time? She must be stupid. History is full of constant war and death.' But it's not like that for me." She spoke as if what she was saying was completely ridiculous.

"I wasn't thinking that at all." Jasper said. Dani was surprised. People always told her that she was a freak for liking history the way she does, but here Jasper was telling her that she wasn't. "Actually, I was thinking that, historically, it was much simpler in some aspects. No technology, no complicated schooling and," Jasper smirked, "no meaningless gossip floating around."

    Dani laughed softly, looking down at her hands before turning her head back up to look at Jasper once again.

"Things were... easier then. Now everything has obstacles that get in your way. When, back then, you could practically just shoot them out of your way and move on." Jasper agreed with Daniella. Dani smiled moving a piece of hair behind her ear. This was probably the longest conversation she's ever had with anyone at school before. She's usually zoned out in her own little world being ignored by everyone. Until they needed someone to push around for a bit. Daniella sighed looking down at her hands.

"Thanks." She stated to Jasper. She saw the gradual look of confusion etch its way onto Jasper's face.

"What for?" He asked his tone emotionless, but his face contorted with utter confusion.

"For not calling me a freak." Dani stated, gathering her things and walking to the door just as the bell rang.

    Jasper was conflicted. He wanted to continue his conversation with the brunette, but he was stuck. He felt like his body would only move in slow motion as he made his way down the hall. He could feel eyes on him as he walked, but at that moment it didn't matter to him.

    Jasper suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder. He grabbed it and shoved them face first into the lockers. When he regained his cool he looked at the person he had pinned. It was Emmett. Jasper quickly let him go and looked around seeing that everyone in the halls were watching them. Jasper sighed and made his way, still as slow as before, out the school doors. His siblings not far behind him.

"Hey! What the hell was that all about?" Emmett seethed at Jasper. Jasper turned and glared at Emmett causing him to shut up quickly. Alice carefully made her way toward Jasper and stood next to him.

"You talked to her didn't you.." she asked. Her voice soft and gentle, like a pixie's.

    Jasper's eyelids fell shut. As he thought about the beautiful brunette from his history class. His body eventually relaxed and he was calm enough to open his eyes and answer.

"Yes.." He finally spoke. Alice squealed quietly and gripped onto Jasper's arm.

"What's she like? Is she nice? Quirky?" Alice gasped "Does she like clothes??"

    Jasper couldn't keep up with the rapid fire questions coming out of the petite girl next to him.

"Alice!"Jasper's stern voice interrupted her. "I don't know anything. We talked about history class for ten minutes. Wasn't exactly enough time to learn everything about the lady." He spoke his thick, Texan accent slipping through. "Besides, she's...different." He spoke, his usual emotionless face contorted to one showing confusion and curiosity. The Cullen's looked at their newest sibling with suprised, yet curious faces as well.

"Different how, Jasper?" Rosalie asked stepping closer to the blonde. Jasper sighed and thought for a second.

"She... She doesn't like herself." He spoke. His body full of rage and pain. It hurt him to think that she disliked herself and that she thought she was trapped in a body she doesn't appreciate. "She's perfect," Jasper's head tilted and then he saddly stated, "but she doesn't see it."

    The Cullen's all looked at each other after hearing Jasper's words. Rosalie and Alice both had a hand on one of Jasper's shoulders in comfort, but nothing was going  to fix this..except Dani. Even knowing that, it could still be something impossible to alter.