Chapter Six: The Portrait

Daniella made her way to her last class of the day. Art. Art made Daniella relax almost as much as History did. She walked into her Art class and went to the back of the room. Suprising right? After the teacher finished her long introduction to the new class, she let them have a free day to do any kind of Art we wanted.

    So, Daniella decided to paint. She got her easel and a canvas set up, put the paint where she could reach them, then set to work. Before she started she noticed a certain dirty-blonde staring at her from across the room he had a hand covering his mouth and nose as if he smelt something repulsive. Dani looked down in confusion before she subtly sniffed herself to see if it was her that smelt so bad to him, but she didn't smell anything. So, she looked back at her easel and pushed the thought out of her head.

    Daniella took a deep breath and started her painting. As usual, she fell into her daze as she worked. Her hand pretty much taking over as she painted. Her eyes glazed over in a hypnotic like state and she lost herself in her own head.

    It wasn't until the final stroke of her paint brush, that she seemed to fall out of her dazed state. When she focused back on the painting, she realized that it was a portrait. A portrait of...

    Dani gasped, not realizing she had gotten the attention of the entire class in the process. The paint brush fell from her hand as she saw what she had done. The teacher, Mrs. Jones, walked over and layed a hand on her shoulder.

"Daniella? Are you alri- oh dear..." Mrs. Jones gaped at the painting. "This is beautiful Daniella!"

"I-I'm sorry. I have to go." Daniella spoke. She rushed around grabbing her belongings quickly and made her way to the door, portrait in hand. However, someone stopped her before she made it out the door. Jasper.

"Hey, are you okay?" Jasper asked, concern lacing his voice.

    Dani wouldn't look him in the eyes. She gave the portrait to Jasper and left the room before anymore questions could be asked. She ran out of the school as fast as she could and hid in the truck until the end of school bell would ring.

     Jasper watched as Daniella ran away. He looked down at the portrait before quickly grabbing his stuff and running out the door after Dani. But as he ran out of the exit of the school, he looked around and saw that Daniella was nowhere to be found. Jasper growled to himself before taking off into the woods at an inhuman speed.

    Jasper ran into the house dropping his things by the door and speed off into the living room of his family home. He crashed to the floor in the corner of the room staring at the painting in his hands.

    Then he heard his family enter the house about 10 minutes later, but Jasper couldn't move. It was like his body had given up on him as he started into the eyes of the portrait in his hands.

"Jasper?" He heard a soft, pixie like voice ask from the doorway of the room. He finally looked up from the painting in his hands and up at the group in front of him. His family gaped at the broken look of the newest member of the Cullen's. They knew that, if the boy would let himself, he'd be a sobbing mess.

"Jasper!" Alice was at Jasper's side at an inhuman speed, sitting next to him on the floor. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders and hugged him close. Jasper's shakey voice caught the attention of everyone in the room.

"I felt what she felt." He spoke quietly. Alice pulled away and Jasper's head fell back to rest against the wall. The family looked to each other confused. Except Edward. Edward had a pained expression on his face.

"What's going on, Jasper?" Carlisle asked in his usual soft tone of voice.

"I felt what she felt. She was terrified. Of me..." Jasper said bitterly.