Chapter Eleven: The Cold Ones

A/N: Well, since we reached 200 reads on Chapter One I thought I'd post Chapter Eleven. Hope you all enjoy it!
                                          -xoxo Jaye

    They were back in the Silver Volvo once again. Dani was lost in thought about everything her and Jasper had talked about, when she heard Isabella speak.

"Charlie's here late." She said, looking out the window. Dani moved to see a police car leave and Charlie's cruiser sat in the parking lot.

"Something must've happened." Daniella spoke for the first time since they got back in the car.

    The Volvo pulled into the lot and each of them got out. Edward caught sight of another car parked next to the cruiser.

"Hey," He said pointing out the car to Jasper with a nod of his head, "that's our father's car."

"What is he-?" Jasper asked, his eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. He was cut off by Carlisle walking out of the station, a grim look on his face.

"Carlisle, what's happened?" Edward asked.

    Carlisle tells them that Waylon Forge was found dead in the woods by his home. Edward and Jasper went stone-like and Bella seemed horrified. Dani didn't really remember Waylon so she was confused on the whole ordeal.

"He died? How?" Isabella asked Carlisle.

"Animal attack." Carlisle told her. Something about the way the three men were acting told Daniella that it wasn't just an animal attack... and that they knew more then they were letting on.

    Bella asked if it was the same kind that killed a security guard down in Mason earlier that week. Neither girl missing the not-so-subtle look traded between each of the three men.

"Most likely, yes." Carlisle said.

"So it's getting closer to town." Daniella concluded.

"Waylon lived down on Queets River. About 75 miles south of here." Edward said, a slight sternest in his tone.

"But that's-" Bella started, but she was cut off by Carlisle.

"You should go inside. Waylon was a friend of your father's." Carlisle told them, a kind reassuring smile on his face.

    Something about his smile jogged her memory a bit. A sudden flash of his face, blurry but eligible, with the same smile on it. A small gasp left her as she remembered him. She just couldn't tell from where.

    Jasper, Edward and Carlisle watched Bella leave, but saw Daniella lost in thought. Edward saw what she was thinking and gasp along with her. They each watched as she left as quickly as possible. Confused, Jasper and Carlisle looked to Edward for answers.

"She knows you, Carlisle." Edward told them as he looked to Carlisle with furrowed brows. "She was thinking of a memory. Forgotten, but you must have made her remember. It was you in her thoughts, smiling down at her, but she couldn't tell when it was." Edward said.

"Are you sure it was me Edward?" Carlisle asked  urgingly. Jasper was worried for Dani. Nothing else really matter to him anymore, other than making sure she was okay, safe.

"Yes, Carlisle. It was you." Edward said.

    Carlisle sighed, turning away from his two boys and leaving to his car, "We'll speak more of this later. Right now, we have more urgent issues to deal with."

    With that, Jasper and Edward got back into the Silver Volvo without question. They've learned, by now, that Carlisle always has a reason behind every action he took and that he'll answer them when the time is right.

~•~

    It was later that night, when Daniella remembered the book. After her recent dream, she had about thirty minutes ago, she decided to see if the book could answer any of her questions. As she flipped through it, she read the titles of each legend and tale of the Quileute Folk Stories and Art book. When she flipped through the last few pages, a certain title caught her attention along with a picture of a pale, white face with deep, red eyes and sharp teeth to match. Daniella stopped flipping through the pages and began to read the chapter labeled, "The Cold Ones."

    After she finished reading the inscription, she found herself on her computer once again. Except this time she looked up "Cold Ones." She went to the images to see dozens of historical looking pictures of the seductive creatures with ice-y, pale skin as they feasted on their victims in paintings and engravings. They were truly beautiful, yet horrific. The book had told of the skeletal deamons attacking villages. Their perfectly sculpted appearance, alluring and elegant as they murdered entire towns.

    Daniella quickly clicked on one of the links provided and began to read. Words seemed to jump out at her as she read over each paragraph.

Speed

    The accident immediately popped into Daniella's head. He was so quick to get to her...

Strength

    He blocked the car from hurting her, his body leaving a huge dent in its wake...

Cold Skinned

    In the car, earlier that, night when he held her as she tried to put the pieces of her sanity back together after the frat boys....

Immortal

    Immortal..?

    Then finally...

Blood Drinker

    A picture of a beautiful man biting a women's neck seemed to come to life right in front of Daniella's eyes. Except the woman was replaced with Dani herself and the beautiful man holding her close was a seemingly familiar dirty-blonde haired man.

    Dani closed her computer in complete denial. It couldn't be true. It's just an old folk tale parents told their children so they would go to bed at night...right?

    The gears in her head turned, trying to make sense of all the information that was suddenly making much more sense to her now.

"It's impossible.."