Ch.15 Gunfire

******

I can't focus in any of my classes after learning that some gangs are after me. What even is my life? I go from one bad situation to another? Why me? What is happening?

"Eden?" I hear Sage say.

"Hm?" I hum.

"I asked if you were okay, you kind of zoned out there." I pick at my food.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just what Val told me." I say honestly. He gives Val a look.

"What? What'd she tell you?" He asks.

"She told me that the reason her and Shawn are back at the school is because the threats are getting worse and all that, but also that I'm being targeted. By gangs." I say worriedly hoping he'll correct me and scold Val for scaring me and that it was just a joke.

"Yes. That all is happening. Don't worry though, the other gangs aren't as smart as us. At least we hope. We've been 10 steps ahead of them all for years. We're hoping it stays that way." Sage says.

"Okay, now can you explain to me why everyone is so scared of Shawn and Val?" I ask. He looks to Val and Shawn and they both nod.

"Well, people know that they're in a gang. They're scared of Shawn because he's been to jail, for murder. I almost went to jail too but my father was able to get me out." I look at them completely shocked.

"You almost went to jail for the same thing Shawn did?" I say a little scared. He nods.

"Don't worry, he wasn't innocent. He was kidnapping young children and girls. Our gang isn't all bad and not only involved in weapons dealing. We also track down bad people like him and, well, put a stop to them." He says. My mouth is still agape. I can't seem to process all of this right now.

"Do people know that you and Marie are in the gang?" I ask.

"I think they speculate but they don't actually know anything." He says. I nod trying to process everything. I push away my food and slump down a little in the hard cafeteria chair.

"I know it's all really crazy. If you need to take a bit and be by yourself at our house than you can, I won't bother you so you can process." Sage says. I immediately shake my head.

"No, the last thing I want is to go through any of this alone." I say. I certainly cannot understand all of this without his help. We go back to eating our lunches except I don't do much eating. Sage turns towards me.

"Eden, come on, you need to eat." Sage says.

"Yeah, I don't mean to be mean, Eden, but you are unhealthily skinny." Val says. I look at my wrists and the old scars from me cutting and the utter skinniness of it. Maybe I am too skinny. I see Sage watching me with sadness written all over his face. I try to give him a small smile. I start to tear up. It all just reminds me of him. I feel a tear slip out of my eye and I get up to run away because I don't usually let people see me like this, but Sage places his hand on my leg and keeps me seated. He turns me so that I'm facing him. He puts his hand against my cheek and wipes away my tears. I smile and lean my face into his hand more. He leans in and kisses me. He pulls my chair closer to him.

"Sage," I say against his lips, "Sage, we need to stop, we're in school." I say as I pull away. He pouts at me an I return it.

"I know." I say. Valerie just looks shocked. "What?"

"Um, I don't know... look around maybe... at all the people staring?" She says. I look around in horror as I see so many people looking at us. I turn around and hide behind my hair and pick at the muffin that's in front of me. Lunch goes pretty smoothly after that and then me, Sage, Val, and Shawn all head to the social studies wing. Shawn has all his classes with Sage to keep an eye on him just how Val has all her classes with me. Marie has some other person in the gang in all her classes, I have yet to meet them though. Me and Val walk into social studies and do the usual 'I'm back' and 'I'm new' thing and sit down. Class is going by fine, until the middle of class. If what I think is happening, is actually happening to me right now I'm going to scream. I quickly ask to go to the bathroom. I run to the bathroom that's right across the hall and hope no ones in there. I run into a stall. Of course, I was right. I just got my fricking period. I haven't gotten it in months as Sage's mom knows. So why now? Ugh, I might actually scream. I'm not prepared for this at all.

"Eden?" I hear Val say.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You got up so quick and practically sprinted out of the room." Val says.

"Yeah, I just uh, got my period. I haven't gotten it in months." I say.

"Oh, do you need anything?" She asks.

"Yeah that'd be great." I say awkwardly.

"Okay, I'll be right back." She says and I hear the bathroom door open and close. A few minutes later she comes back in with stuff for me. Then when I come out she gives me painkillers.

"Thank you." I say.

"Of course, what are friends for?" She says. I smile at her and we go back to the classroom. Right as we walk in the bell rings, so we grab our backpacks and meet Sage and Shawn in the hall. Sage puts his arm around me and we begin the walk to gym.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asks me.

"What? nothing." I say.

"I don't believe you. You look upset, what's wrong?" He says.

"She got her period, no biggie." Val blurts out. My head flies in her direction. "What? He's your boyfriend, he should know." She says defending herself. Shawn looks uncomfortable.

"So, are you okay now?" Sage asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I say. He kisses my head, which makes me smile. We continue the walk to the locker rooms and go into our own so we can get changed. Me and Val go in and find Dominique getting changed. She didn't spare us a glance. Hah, good, be scared bitch. I get changed and walk out with Val. I find Sage standing with Shawn and another boy.

"Hi." I say.

"Oh, Eden this is Jasper, he's also in the gang. He's the one who's been with Marie all day."

"Oh hi, it's nice to meet you." I say. He has dirty blond hair and brown eyes. He's a bit shorter than Sage but still way taller than me. He has a muscular build, just like Shawn and Sage. Sage pulls me under his arm and we walk over to the center of the gym where the teacher is and we listen to what we are doing today. I guess we've moved away from the basketball unit because now we're doing badminton.

We all partner up to play and I'm with Sage of course Shawn and Val are together and poor Jasper gets partnered with one of the devils, Jane. We go to the courts that the teacher tells us to go to and we play. When gym is over I practically sprint to the locker room. I hate gym so much. Val and I get changed and leave the locker room to find the guys waiting for us. Then we go to find Marie and we all head home. Jasper has his own car, it's an Escalade. I get into Sage's car and we all follow Shawn out of the school parking lot.

We get back to their house and I go upstairs to take a shower. I just feel so gross today. When I get out I get into comfortable clothes and go downstairs to find everyone watching tv. I join Sage on the couch and snuggle up.

"You have a doctors appointment to take out your stitches tomorrow. You also have the appointment that my mom scheduled for you." Sage says to me quietly. I nod my head and snuggle into him further before I feel myself staring to drift off to sleep, but before I can, I hear gunfire raining down outside.

******

Oh shit.

Hope you liked this chapter and this is completely random but I w a n t a b o y f r i e n d. Broccoli please continue to hit me up, thanks.

Anyway love y'all!

xoxo-J