Ch.54 bloodbath

******

Sage's POV

My whole world is crumbling. I can't move. I'm paralyzed. I'm dead. I can't feel anything except the aching in my chest, the hole in my heart where Eden belongs. Marie runs to my side and tugs on my arm. I tear my eyes away from the burning warehouse long enough to look at her.

Marie has tears running down her face.

"I know." She says. "But we have to go. We have news of The Void's whereabouts." I stand onto shaky legs. My knees almost buckle but I stay strong. I have to do this. I have to do this for her, for Eden.

I turn towards my gang. They all stand solemnly. Waiting for what to do next. I gather myself, I brush off my clothes and straighten my back. I stand tall and address them.

"We know where The Void are. We will go there. We will hunt each and every one of them down, and we will kill them." I say my voice not faltering. "If any of you find Carter before me, hold him. I want to kill him myself." They all nod and start moving. Marie squeezes my hand.

A single tear falls down my face. I wipe it away. I need to look into his eyes. I need to watch as the life drains out of him. I need revenge. I will not let her die for no good reason. I will win this war.

We all march to a field not far from here. One of our scouts said that he saw them advance there. I don't plan on letting them leave that field alive.

Not only did I lose my love, my heart, but my best friend. I lost Shawn. I lost them both in one second. I shouldn't have left her alone. I should've stayed. At least we'd be together.

I walk with a new motivation. A new anger. I walk faster. As I go I check my guns. I make sure they're all loaded and ready to fire. I'm not going easy.

We get to the field. I order everyone to hide along the tree line. the sun will be coming up soon. we need to use this shadow while we can.

I scan the field. I watch for movement. I see what looks like a flashlight across the field. They're hiding in the trees as well. I call Val over quietly.

"Get our sniper over here." I whisper. She nods and walks away. I take out my binoculars and look over there. That's definitely them. I can see them.

Val comes back with our sniper. I nod in his direction and thank Val.

"They're over there. I need you to take a few out." I say to him. He nods and sets up his gun. He lays down on the ground and puts his eye to the sight.

I'm glad I invested in the sights with night vison. My nerves and adrenaline are mixing together. I bounce on my heels as I wait.

He moves his finger to the trigger, slowly as he keeps the gun pointed at the guy. He presses down on the trigger and his gun fires silently.

I hear movement on that side and now they're alerted that we're here.

The war has started.

"Again." I say to the sniper. He nods and I get my own gun out. Everyone around me follows my lead, getting ready. Some of us tighten our vests and some re-lace our steel toed boots.

I'm ready to avenge our fallen. I'm ready to fight back.

I'm ready to kill my brother.

***

Eden's POV

I'm sweating.

My eyes are shut.